Procedure for VTEC Solenoid Removal/Gasket Replacement?

Emphasis

Reaction score
Hey everyone. 2000 Accord 4 cyl here. 144,000 miles.

I have a small oil leak coming from my VTEC solenoid. Probably the gaskets. The top of the solenoid looks easy enough to get off with a wrench or socket. It's the bottom part that I could use more clarification.

If anyone has ever dealt with this; what did you have to remove out the way to take out both parts of the assembly, to replace both gaskets?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Should only be 2-3 10 or 12mm bolts and disconnect the plug to the sensor. Remove the gasket, clean both surfaces, install new gasket and replug.

Emphasis

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Should only be 2-3 10 or 12mm bolts and disconnect the plug to the sensor. Remove the gasket, clean both surfaces, install new gasket and replug.

That sounds like only the top (3 bolts). Apparently there's a gasket in the bottom too?

619rcr

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the sensor, bolts & gasket. You do not need to remove the top bolts. The gaskets are along the side of the head. When I got my gaket from Honda (#13) the two where together. Just unclip the connectors & unbolt. I believe you only really need to remove your intake tube/airbox. You may need to remove the distributor cap too.

Last edited:
Back