Transmission fluid change? Flush? Do nothing? 2000 Honda Accord.

accord510

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Honda Accord Lx 4cyl automatic that I bought in 2010 with 80k miles. It now has 130k miles on it. Since the day I bought it, it would sort of "jerk"/vibrate when it shifts from gear 1 to 2. Other gears shift without this jerk and downshifting happens without any issues as well. I have never really been a car person and thought this jerk was normal since it was an older car. I normally get an oil change every 4000 miles at walmart but other than that, no fluid changes. Other than this issue, the car runs great.

I am about to move away from home and have been considering getting the transmission fluid changed or flushed. But I am reading stories online with mixed results. Some people say that a fluid change fixed the issue and others say it killed the tranny. I'm reading that if you never changed the fluid, leave it alone. Flushing seems to mess up the transmission as well and the theory is that the tiny metal shavings are depositing on the parts and providing the needed friction and those are lost in the flush, killing the tranny. Is this true?

What should I do? Change? Flush? Leave it alone? If you recommend no change, then should I add the Lucas oil stop slip solution or Lubegard? Would that help or only hurt the transmission?

Thank you for reading and the advice.

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
My sisters cg has the same issue. Has fresh trans fluid. Look in to changing the shift solenoid and possibly the tcc solenoid

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
Change the transmission solenoid, my old car use to do the same exact thing. Installing a transmission cooler might benefit it for a while longer.

I didn't drain/refil because of horror stories lol.

Be prepared for a flashing d4 on your cluster.

accord510

Reaction score
how bad would it be to change the fluid? would i run a high risk of killing the transmission?

lashlee

Reaction score
I don't have the issue that you are having but I change the fluid every 30k. No issues with 232,XXX miles on my 98.

Emphasis

Reaction score
Do not flush the transmission. Drain and refill 3x if you're going to do it. Doing it once every other oil change should suffice after that.

I'd try my best to look into if the fluid was ever changed, and when. Dealership records, contacting previous owner; whatever it takes and then go from there.
--

Also on a side note; if you don't already know, try to go easy on the transmission of course. Wait a second or so every time gears are switched, and do not floor it at stops or crawls. To avoid transmission damage, come to a complete stop before shifting into park, or from reverse to another gear.

I know all of this should sound rather elementary, but it really does work.

Last edited:

accord510

Reaction score
thanks for the advice guys. i think i'm just gonna leave it alone and deal with it when it gets more problematic.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Never flush, only drain and refill. And I have to wonder what Walmart uses for transmission fluid. You should at least use Honda fluid imo, they reformulated it recently.

Back