THE Suspension Review Thread

SoCalAccord2000

Reaction score
Brand & model: Function Form Type I
Price paid and from where: $693 with CA tax from Ebay
Pros: Way better than stock! Stiff ride not to stiff tho
Cons: I would say the bottom adjustability of the strut but once you know how its not that bad maybe 15 mins a side to adjust

Final verdict: Definately recommend these for the price and adjustability. i feel like an idiot for riding on stock suspension for so long lol, i love how my car looks and handles.:thumbup:

Update: after owning these coilovers for like 3 years they were okay for entry level, but im tired of them with the struts blowing and @ 100$ a pop to replace i wish i would have saved more money and got better coilovers. i will not be buying FF again. my bro had the ff type 2 on his G35 and his struts blew as well.

Last edited:

turboaccord98

Reaction score
Brand, model: Tanabe Sustec pro full coilovers
Price paid: 900
Pros: Great handling, adjustability of dampening levels is nice
Cons: Don't go low enough for me only about 2.5 inchs
Verdict: I wouldn't go with these unless you dont care about being slammed, I would go with AMR.

Last edited:

Sleeper Cell

No more CG Squad!!!
Reaction score
Background information:
I've been on many suspension setups, not just in my own car, but also in other people's cars. So far to date I've ridden on or been in cars that had Tein Basics, Tein SS, Tein Monoflex, Ksports, F2s (previous gens and current gens), Apex'i WS, JIC FLT-ARs, Stance, AMRs (previous previous gen, previous gen, and current gen), various spring and shock combos, etc. My basis of comparison comes from my experience over the years with these different setups in comparison to my AMRs. Having done many installs and doing a lot of research, I have learned about how the suspension in our cars functions and what works, and also what doesn't.

I have been talking to Andy Reyes (owner of AMR Engineering) for the last two years or so off and on about suspension theory and what he had to offer as an alternative to his competitors. I was at one point torn between his suspension and one of his competitors and decided to go with the competition. To my dismay, they failed to deliver what I understood to be a very good suspension setup to say the least. Andy talked to me about the experience I had with this company at one point and had mentioned that had I had the same experience with his company he would have gone through the motions to help resolve my issues to his best ability. After the years passed Andy made me an offer to help my suspension woes, and now that his product is better than ever I decided that it would be a very nice upgrade.

Write up:
Upon the initial order, I was told the wait for my suspension would be a few months, which I was prepared for. A few months pass and I randomly receive an email with a tracking number for my suspension which arrived on 6/29/10. I was super jazzed! The weekend comes by and goes by. Monday comes and on my way back from a body shop my thermostat decides to take a crap on my face, as well as my battery. The next day, my coilovers would be here.

I get the coilovers. My initial reaction upon pulling them out of the box was WOW. These coilovers are fucking sick. The build quality and craftsmanship is very apparent. They feel beefy and thick. In comparison to the many Taiwanese coilovers that I've come across, they seem noticeably heavier as well as thicker (to me at least). The mounts and collars seem higher quality than most setups. When spinning them up and down the threaded shock body, it seems less "friction-y", meaning that they spin up and down without issues, but do not spin freely or easily if that makes sense. They will not spin super easily, but they do spin without much effort and you don't feel like you're spinning metal on metal, which is nice. It was smooth. The adjustment knob on the top for the 8 setting rebound adjustment is high quality, the upper mount is high quality, and the bolts are nice and shiny. :)

4748542864_a63f01bb9d.jpg

I'm in ur suspension, valvin' ur shocks!

4748542790_197eb1a60e.jpg

Each click on the adjustment knob is very distinct. It is not like most that just make a noise or give a slight click feel. There are definite distinctions between clicks.

Install:
Same as any other coilover. Skip.

4748542738_5007bc5383.jpg

Ride:
I must say, of all my suspension setups I've had, I finally got it right. These are exactly what I wanted. The rates I got are 14kg/mm front and 12kg/mm rears. For how stiff the spring rates are they feel very nice. They are firm, but not jarring or uncomfortable. I got these rates because I wanted to be able to go low with minimal upper control arm contact with my strut towers. I am not road racing my car. It will never touch the asphalt at Buttonwillow, unless it's in the pits for a meet or something. It will never be involved in autocross. The soul purpose of these for me, was to drop the car LOW and have them stiff but not unbearable. I also wanted something more sporty than my Teins. They ride awesome, to be quite honest. I talked to Nick (Accord_v6_400m) and he described the ride well; refined. The only thing I am having issues with right now is a slight clunking sound coming from the rears but I think it's a loose endlink on both sides since I did disconnect them for an easier rear install.

Customer Service:
Personally, Andy has been great for me. I will say that Andy knows how to make a damn good product. No, Andy is not paying me. No, Andy is not sponsoring me. I'm just another customer just like you could be. Was his stuff worth the wait? Yes, most definitely. His customers generally have some small waiting period to get their coilovers, but the 6th gen coilovers he made took a bit longer since he was making them himself due to a group buy. Hopefully everyone that took part in his group buy feels the same way.

Overall:
Overall, these are worth the money. By far some of the highest quality stuff you will see for an Accord. They ride well, Andy has great customer service, and the warranty is self explanatory.

Cliffs:
Quality of product: 10/10
Ease of installation: Dependant on how skillful you are at installing parts
Ride: 10/10

I hope everyone finds this to be useful. Any questions? Ask away!

ZsleepizeZ

Reaction score
Brand & model:Tokico illuminas, ground control sleeves, and eibach springs.
Price paid and from where:200 (local)
Pros:the ride is not as stiff, gives you a nice drop
Cons:it makes squeaky noises going over bumps.
Final verdict:a nice set up if you are not thinking going too low. a nice setup for the price

jwong512

Reaction score
Brand & Model: Acura OEM 2004-2007 TL MT 20MM Rear Sway Bar with bushings and brackets.
Price paid and from where: $44.94 shipped and from our vendor, HondaAcuraPlanet.
Pros: Eliminated a lot of understeer and body roll. Can push it a lot faster in turns without anymore body roll.
Cons: None
Final Verdict: It's a great rear sway bar for the price. The OEM stock one seemed completely hollow to me as the TL one was much heavier. Car seems to stick a lot better to the ground on turns.

Brand & Model: Moog Endlinks, P/N K90343 K90342.
Price paid and from where: Amazon.com, The left one costs $24.90 and the right one costs $19.66. Free shipping with $25+ orders or Amazon Prime.
Pros: Much thicker than the OEM endlinks. I'm sure they actually do make a difference after I saw the size difference between the two.
Cons: Why did the right one and the left one have to be two totally different prices? Doesn't make much sense.
Final Verdict: Definitely worth the price and I'm sure they do make a minor difference in performance as these are pieces of the rear sway bar.

JayStuff

Reaction score
Brand & model: Function and Form Type Two.5 (W/ Eibach ERS)
Price paid and from where: $1,000 from NASOHC on 6th gen
Pros: I must say when I first got these I just had to admire the great looks of these coils. The build quality is just amazing. Ride quality is barely sacrificed even on highest damper setting with 12/8 spring rates. These things will go LOWWW. Way lower then you'd ever need to go.
Cons: 12/8 spring rate is nice and stiff but honestly wish I went with the 14/10 because ride quality is so good, the higher spring rate would have been nice. Its not that big of a deal tho.
Final verdict: Great coils for a decent price. These things are just lovely.

Brand & model: Progress 24mm sway bar
Price paid and from where: $144 from progress themselves
Pros: This thing is FAT. I put it in before the coils and you could really feel the under steer go away just like that. Really gives the car confidence in high speed turns.
Cons: I really cant think of any except for price.. maybe a ticket for taking a turn too fast? :henry:
Final verdict: Amazing sway bar. yeah it costs 144 but I really like the solidness of the bar.

Brand & model: Wiked tuning rear camber kit
Price paid and from where: around 85 from ebay
Pros: Great adjustable range and easy to adjust. Build quality is solid. They look nice.
Cons: none.
Final verdict: does the job and adds a little "bling" underneath.

Brand & model: moog endlinks
Price paid and from where: $20 for left, $25 for right.. idk why.
Pros: Nice and thick. Great oem replacement.
Cons: cost.. but why difference in price?
Final verdict: These things im sure add some more sturdiness then the oem endlinks.. they are obviously thicker. Great when putting in a new sway bar.

99accord boi

Reaction score
Brand & model: Ground control coilover sleeves
Price paid and from where: $250 from carlos on here
Pros: stiffer ride great for the spirited driver
Cons: none so far
Final verdict:
i love these paired them up with a neuspeed strut bar

001Stunna

Reaction score
Brand & model: New Tein SS Coilovers in 7/4 rates
Price paid and from where: $1072 Shipped to Toronto, Canada from ebay store
Pros: Feel great, i have them on f4r5 (0 being stiffest) and even though they are stiffer then stock they feel quite comfortable, in fact veryyy comfortable. Of course go over crazy bumps and road cracks and you can feel the stiffness. In addition road handling is quite improved over stock. Braking dive has been pretty much cancelled out and tight turns and highway on-ramps are much more fun =p
Cons: If they had separate height and preload perches it'd be great as the lower you go you loose damper rod travel.
Final verdict: Greattttt for the person looking to moderately lower the car and maintaining a comfy ride. NOT FOR THE PERSON LOOKING TO SLAM THEIR CAR.
My parents, grandparents, girlfriend etc have ridden on the car and all love it and never complain of a stiff ride.

Brand & model: Wicked Tunning rear camber kit
Price paid and from where: $100 shipped to toronto, canada on ebay
Pros: Great kit, seems very strong with quality bushings. Does it's job and has been making no noises whatsoever untill now.
Cons:None so far
Final verdict:Great kit to go with to adjust camber.

Brand & model: 04 Acura TLS Sway Bar
Price paid and from where: $50 shipped to Toronto, Canada from 6GA Vendor
Pros: GREATTTTTTT. Makes a great handling improvement and can be felt even more with aftermarket dampers and springs.
Cons:None so far
Final verdict:Great addition and a greattt price.

Brand & model: Moog Rear Endlinks
Price paid and from where: $70 for both shipped to Toronto, Canada from RockAuto
Pros: Great, beefy and seem quite stronger compared to the thin oem endlinks. Re-greasable.
Cons:It'd be better if the rubber covers were actually secured on the endlink somehow and now loose and able to be pulled as dirt/etc can make its way inside possibly
Final verdict:Can't go wrong with them if doing the sway bar mod or if simply changing your endlinks

Brand & model: AMR Engineering 8kF/6kR Coilovers w/ Hypero Springs (monotube)
Price paid and from where: $1250CAD shipped to Toronto, Canada
Pros: Beefy when compared to others, supposed to be custom machined, valved and built to customer specifications.
Cons: Due to the large lower mount body it causes it to rub on the rear end-links. Issue can be solved with spacing out the end-link with washers, however it'd be nice if it wasn't an issue at all. Instead of having two locking perches for the spring-seat as almost all coil-overs do, AMR's only have 1 locking perch that is tightened by a hex-head 2cm screw. You gotta pray and hope that the screw doesn't rust if roads get salted where you live or that it doesn't break off when tightening. Spring rubber seat included only for top side of spring and not the bottom. I even tried contacting AMR and offering to pay to get mailed 4 extra rubber seats and 4 extra locking perches and was called a "fool" for caring for my own security. Talk about GREAT customer serivce??
Final verdict: I ended up buying these coils after many on 6GA pushed them as the best of the best, and for the money paid for them they should've been. Money was paid on Feb and coil-overs arrived about 6 months after in July when original ETA from AMR was 3-6 weeks not 3-6 months. First order that was sent out came with the wrong spring rates. Had to reship the springs back and wait another week to get the right springs in the mail. After payment was made emails to AMR were pretty much unreplied. Phone conversations were the only means of communication and even that felt rushed. Lifetime warranty apparently does not cover many things, make sure you read between the lines and confirm before paying. In addition it seems as lifetime warranty is validated by a sticker on the coilover under the dust boot. Sticker states that if it is removed or ripped, the lifetime warranty is down the toilet. Customer Service from AMR is pretty much slim to none. Be prepared to be talked to like you're an idiot and a fool and that you should be grateful that the company you gave $1250 to even has time to talk to you. Lastly do your research and do not fall for AMR and its fan boys!!!!!! Last point cannot be stated enough as many forums will reveal the same issues over and over with AMR.
I would only think about purchasing from AMR again if the company and its owner decided to take a few classes in customer service and learn how to handle its customers and its product in addition to maybe realizing that those customers are his income.

Last edited:

av6_sm1ke

Reaction score
Brand & model: AMR Engineering 8-way rebound adjustable coilovers

Price paid and from where: Group buy price of $1200 shipped to Winnipeg, Canada, from Vancouver, WA

Pros: These coilovers are one of the best on the market right now. Amazing build quality! Ride quality is absolutely perfect, its just what I wanted. The roads in my city are a little rough, and the roads downtown can be pretty brutal, but the suspension handles them very well. I have them set at front 6 and rear 5, 0 being the softest. They're paired with the Hyperco 10/8 springs. Just to give you an idea of how well they ride, the front end of my car used to bob up and down frequently due to the uneven road. If I had been any lower than just under 2", I would have bottomed out. This is when I had Eibach Prokits on OEM shocks. Now, I'm lowered a little more on the AMRs (Gonna guess about 3"), and when I take that road, I don't bounce around nearly as much, and I don't even come close to bottoming out. I want to get a video clip to show the difference between my buddy's RSX on Tein S. Techs and my car, its like night and day. Come to think of it, I may do a video like that sometime soon. Watch my member's ride thread!

Cons: The only con is that the rear shocks will sometimes rub the end links, but that can be easily fixed by adding a few washers between the end link and the end link bracket. Or you can also get a pair of custom extended brackets fabbed up like I'm doing.

Final verdict: Incredible ride quality and performance, quality tooling, and of course LIFETIME WARRANTY. Even at the MSRP of $1450, you just can't go wrong. I'm glad I decided to spend the extra bit of coin on these instead of Teins or F2s. The added bling in the engine bay from the shiny mounting bolts is nice too :)

blankkoop

Reaction score
Brand & model: koni sport/yellow front
Price paid and from where: autoanything $295shipped
Pros:adjustable perches and settings, very close to factory in comfort
Cons:none yet, maybe one more adjustment to go lower in the front
Final verdict:would like to try koni str to see if the same performance could be had for a few hundred less...would definitely buy again

Brand & model:eibach sportlines
Price paid and from where:autoanything $205shipped
Pros: very close to factory in comfort
Cons:none
Final verdict:would definitely buy again

Brand & model:koni sport/yellows rear
Price paid and from where:ebay $195shipped
Pros: very close to factory in comfort, they go low...
Cons:none
Final verdict:would definitely buy again

all together its under 700 and i think this suits my needs perfect, ill update this review as i put more miles on the setup...pics soon to come..

Back