DIY cold air intake, CAI (PICS & Video!)

Jxi8s2k

Reaction score
why don't you just cut the stock air box out and leave it like that. you'll have air coming straight up from your bumper just like a cold air, without the hazards of hydro locking since there is no extending pipe down to your bumper. buy a new K&N filter and put it in the stock location, cut out the box

xluben

Reaction score
i don't think i really want to spend any more time (or money) trying to get blood from a turnip :)

definitely not going to get a $40 k&n drop in when an entire CAI (on ebay) is only $30.

basically all my mods are just going to get closer and closer to a true CAI or SRI, but the stock hosing from airbox to throttle body will still be restricting flow (not smooth).

so if i decide to go any further it'd probably be an ebay special and then after that a new (higher quality) filter.

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
I removed my resonator and took the air box out, then I cut the bottom of the air box off completely (below the bolt holes so the top can still be bolted down). If you look in my engine compartment it looks completely stock. I noticed a decent difference like this power wise, huge difference sound wise. I haven't even put in a K&N yet, still the ****ty paper filter.

Jeffro

Reaction score
ryan s said:
cai has a longer tube...i can feel the difference between the 2 (somehow lol).

water would have to go up into the stock box against gravity vs the filter being right near the ground. the splash shield protects the stock box pretty well.

I meant the modified air box (e.g. xluben's)... Wouldn't that be drawing air from the same place as a CAI, the filter would just be in a different place? (Not to mention, the same length of piping) I just put on a CAI, and I know I feel a difference, but having not driven it any other way than stock, I don't have a lot of basis for comparison... lol... :D

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
ahhh, the extension...there would have to be enough water inside the whole tube and box to cause a vacuum effect...at least i think...?

xluben

Reaction score
ryan s said:
ahhh, the extension...there would have to be enough water inside the whole tube and box to cause a vacuum effect...at least i think...?

i believe that is correct, and the large volume of the airbox probably won't allow much water past (unless there's a lot of suction).

Neight

Reaction score
I used the stock air box, AEM short ram and AEM V2. I can;t feel any difference, but the sounds are quite different, I went from short ram to V2 back to short ram because I was worried about hydrolocking. Good thing too because when I drove down to LA a few weeks ago, I had to drive through a huge dust storm and it was follwed by a lot of rain. Ok end of rant, back to animation. :thumbsup:

Nemo619

Reaction score
I have an SRI in place of my stock unit. I can say I feel a change over the stock unit. +HP, can't say much abot the tourq except for my acceleration response is better. Very throaty sound as oppose to the screaming mower you hear coming from ricers.

hiddengamer7

Reaction score
thanks to you guys I modded my intake and it feels and sounds amazing, thanks a bunch for a good DIY

Back