Replaced my main relay...fixed my starting problem. Question

PLmike

Reaction score
So I was having problems starting my car in the heat and after a while it was just getting worse. It just didn't want to start whenever it was hot and sunny outside. Decided to take out my main relay throw it in the fridge for a few minutes and boom the car started no problem. Picked up a new relay from my dealership and installed it. Before I had replaced my relay the car would idle at 900 revs/min now after I installed the new main relay it idles at 1100. Is this normal? What should my Accord be idling at? The relay Honda provided me with was also slightly larger and a different brand. My previous one was a Siemens Relay the new one is a Mitsuba.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
1stgen main relays are Siemens and known for going bad. Honda replaced them with Mitsuba as it is a better made relay, hence your replacement.

Your car should idle anywhere between 750 and 900...why that would change after a relay install, I'm not sure. I am not a wiring expert, but maybe you need to reset your electrical system by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

PLmike

Reaction score
I didn't unplug the battery just was out for long drive and now it idles 900 again. Really don't know what was doing it.

Back