DIY- LX 5 Lug and Rear Disc Swap

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
i picked up my whole 5 lug conversion from the junkyard for 240 bucks with an extra rear hub and disc ... one cheap autozone hub costs about 75 bucks ... i threw them on straight from the junk yard and i have no problems yet ... sure it's a risk but it's worth taking it

ebxgsxr

Reaction score
Is it possible to just swap the hubs on a drum rear end? I think I might give that a try.

i think i asked the same thing before. everyone said it cant be done b/c there were no 5 lug drums. basically the 5 lug conversion goes hand in hand with the rear disc conversion.

... sure it's a risk but it's worth taking it

i totally agree. my local junkyard charges $18 for the spindles. the thing where they got me is all the other things like the sensor, calipers, rotors, brake hoses, etc that are all bolted to the spindle. i was able to use everything on the rear spindles i got, although i changed the rotors (old ones were rusted), but the pads & everything else were in perfect condition. i got screwed on the front. i couldnt get the axle nut off one side. i THOUGHT that they wouldnt charge me since the axle was all busted up anyway. but i was wrong :doh:

but as BlkCurrantKord said a while back in this thread. no one can really compare prices unless they were all buying new from dealers. there are so many different factors that go into the prices, everyone cant compare what the conversion cost them.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
would you trust a junkyard/ebay knuckle/spindle? I would think the wheel bearings might be shot or other things.so could be cheaper and easier to go new oem 1st place?In the long run.save time.
Im EX so already have all disc.but only looking at this for rim options..damn 4 lugs..

I only had one go out on me, 2yrs after I did the swap and it was the rear pass. My fronts were still in good condition when I had new ones pressed in.

Mike's_Taffeta

Reaction score
i think i asked the same thing before. everyone said it cant be done b/c there were no 5 lug drums. basically the 5 lug conversion goes hand in hand with the rear disc conversion.[QOUTE]

I plan on doing a rear disc conversion anyway, I just want to know if the 5 lug hub will fit in the 4 lug drum spindle. When I look online at the diagrams from the dealers it seems that thespindles are all the same. Just the hubs are different.

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
i think i asked the same thing before. everyone said it cant be done b/c there were no 5 lug drums. basically the 5 lug conversion goes hand in hand with the rear disc conversion.

i totally agree. my local junkyard charges $18 for the spindles. the thing where they got me is all the other things like the sensor, calipers, rotors, brake hoses, etc that are all bolted to the spindle. i was able to use everything on the rear spindles i got, although i changed the rotors (old ones were rusted), but the pads & everything else were in perfect condition. i got screwed on the front. i couldnt get the axle nut off one side. i THOUGHT that they wouldnt charge me since the axle was all busted up anyway. but i was wrong :doh:

but as BlkCurrantKord said a while back in this thread. no one can really compare prices unless they were all buying new from dealers. there are so many different factors that go into the prices, everyone cant compare what the conversion cost them.

they did the same crap to me ... the axle was busted and they were trying to charge me for them ... but i complained and they just charged the axles as cores so i could later me return them when i got them off

BlackieCG6

Reaction score
im confused rite now buying parts for the swap. i lucked out and got the spindles with almost everything on em (sensors, calipers, brakes, rotors) however im changing the rotors & bearings. just to be on the safe side.

my questions are for the rear bearings, you have to buy the complete hub ? its not like the front where u just buy the wheel bearing itself ?

also im confused about ball joints, ive only changed the front upper ones to do my wheel alignment along with front tie rods over a year ago when i installed my coilovers. my rear only has a camber kit.

basically where the hell do we have ball joints ?
do we even have lower front joints ? & what about the rear ?
i keep hearing different things i got a 99 sedan LX.

Last edited:

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
im confused rite now buying parts for the swap. i lucked out and got the spindles with almost everything on em (sensors, calipers, brakes, rotors) however im changing the rotors & bearings. just to be on the safe side.

my questions are for the rear bearings, you have to buy the complete hub ? its not like the front where u just buy the wheel bearing itself ?

also im confused about ball joints, ive only changed the front upper ones to do my wheel alignment along with front tie rods over a year ago when i installed my coilovers. my rear only has a camber kit.

basically where the hell do we have ball joints ?
do we even have lower front joints ? & what about the rear ?
i keep hearing different things i got a 99 sedan LX.

The rears are contained in the hubs, so yes, you buy a new hub to replace the bearing.

We have front upper and lower ball joints. There are no ball joints in the rear.

Back