car won't start

dbang

Reaction score
Radio and headlights will turn on, so I think the battery is not dead.
It cranks like normal but when I try to feed it gas to crank it doesn't feed.
Last thing I did was get an oil change and used 5w30 synthetic oil 2 days ago.
I drove home and haven't gone out since then. Would using synthetic oil be the problem? I'm not sure what kind of oil was used before, this was my first oil change. When changing my oil, my mechanic said it wouldn't matter if I used synthetic if it was regular before.
Need to wait until Monday before I can tow it to my mechanic

chaby_91

Reaction score
Radio and headlights will turn on, so I think the battery is not dead. It cranks like normal

^ battery not dead, starter not dead.

but when I try to feed it gas to crank it doesn't feed.

^ Will need more info. Do you mean you checked if gas was injected and there was none? You did this by removing a spark plug and smelling for gas? Do you get any spark? Assuming you do, check your fuel pump. If you have a OBDII scanner, check for crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor.

Last thing I did was get an oil change and used 5w30 synthetic oil 2 days ago. I drove home and haven't gone out since then. Would using synthetic oil be the problem? I'm not sure what kind of oil was used before, this was my first oil change. When changing my oil, my mechanic said it wouldn't matter if I used synthetic if it was regular before.

^ Changing your oil to synthetic may potentially cause oil leaks if the engine's seals are really old/dry, but nothing like what you describe.

Akingkhan

Reaction score
Is the check engine light on? Have you checked the fuses in all 3 fuse boxes? & like ^ are you getting fuel? Is the oil plug in the oil pan & filter on the block?

Basically what have you checked, because it could be a lot of things from what you described.

blackcord

Reaction score
Does your fuel pump turn on when you turn it to ON

You are supposed to hear the fuel pump prime itself (i.e. a humming that last about 2-3 seconds) when you turn your key to when the dash lights turn on but not actually crank the engine. BUT you have to do this when it is quiet since the hum is not loud.

dbang

Reaction score
hmm so it miraculously worked. i didn't know what or how to check and don't really have the tools to check. my mechanic said it might be the fuel pump but he wouldn't be able to find out because everything is in working order right now. he said that it would cost about 2-300 to change the fuel pump and i could do it if i wanted to, but i'm not about to change something just by guessing what's wrong.

i will try to listen for that hum noise next time i start my car during the night. would i be able to hear it from my driver seat with door closed?

thanks to everyone for their concerns and replies

Last edited:

blackcord

Reaction score
Older Hondas are notorious for bad main relays. This is the relay that powers the fuel pump.

Was the car out in the sun when you tried? Apparently the main relay will develop cracks on the solder over time and cause intermittent starting issues and this usually happens when the inside of the car is hot. If it ever happens again, open the doors and windows and let the heat out for 10 - 15 minutes then try again. If it starts, then I suspect the main relay is going bad.

You should be able to hear the hum from inside the car. If you dont then the pump is not priming and it could be the main relay not sending power to the pump.

alecxis_j30

Reaction score
So yesterday i drove my car for about 30 minutes. i dropped something off and once i got in the car it wouldnt stay on.
The engine would start and die within a second, unless i pressed on the gas but it did not sound too good.
Lights and radio worked so i know it wasnt my battery. i opened the hood and the driver door and after maybe 15 minutes it decided to turn on.

would this possibly be the FUEL PUMP RELAY?
its not the first time it happens!

Jimsun

Reaction score
I've had this problem too many times that i was able to deduce potential problems.

1. Do you hear a clicking noise when trying to crank?
    - if you hear a click click click click then your bat is dead
  2. Does the car even light up?
    - If it doesn't even light up then your terminal is dirty, your fuse is gone or dead battery
  3. have you checked the terminals?
    - Dirty terminal post can be the problem. clean it and have it corrosiona nd acid freee
  4. have you checked your ground wire?
    - I have had this issue where the car cranks but won't turn on because of bad ground. I would switch to key position II and the car will just die. IT ends up being my negative is already gone.
  5. have you tested your fuel pump?
    -Leave the driver side door open, quickly turn the key on position 2 and run to the rear driver side wheel. Do you hear a humming noise?
  6. did you check your distributor cap?
    - Check your dizzy cap. May be it needs to be replaced, cleaned or dried. Having a moist in their will not turn the engine over.
  7. fuses?
    - Check for fuses that is responsible for making the car start. Battery, clutch, starter, main relay etc

Hope this helped. It hasn't happened yet but this is the typical check list.

I think your fel pump doesn't need to be replaced.

So yesterday i drove my car for about 30 minutes. i dropped something off and once i got in the car it wouldnt stay on.
The engine would start and die within a second, unless i pressed on the gas but it did not sound too good.
Lights and radio worked so i know it wasnt my battery. i opened the hood and the driver door and after maybe 15 minutes it decided to turn on.

would this possibly be the FUEL PUMP RELAY?
its not the first time it happens!

The distributor cap is the black cap where your spark plug wires are connected to. Note the connection and disconnect the wires. Then remove the cap that is being held by 3 phillips or a 6 or 8 mil bolt. look inside maybe it's needs to be cleaned.

Last edited:
Back