Doms 1990 Mustang GT

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
Updates at bottom of OP
As some of you know, I don't really give a **** about my accord. This mustang was a good friend of mines **** around car, but after the radiator fan blades snapped it just sat at his apartment for around a year and a half. We're in the military and he's leaving for Colorado soon and he didn't want to bring the mustang with him, and I'd been jokingly telling him I'd give him $2,000 for it. Last Friday he came up to me and said $1,000 its yours. And he said he would accept monthly payments since we're good friends and he doesn't need the money. He would just give it to me, but his wife won't allow that haha. She's pretty rough looking, but apparently is pretty quick and scary as **** to drive since he has some engine work done. Well, yeah:

This is pretty much how the car has been sitting. The window motor on the passenger side went out and he put a trash bag and towel over the window. Oh well, it smells a little but I plan on replacing the carpet eventually. The paint is ****ed but I don't really care. I'm not out to win car shows, just have something to mess around in to get rid of the boredom the accord brings. It will cost me about $220 in parts to fix what I know is broken. I tried to start it today just to hear it run for a second, because the radiator is already trashed, but after charging the battery off the accord for about an hour, the starter just clicks. I'm not sure if anythings gone bad, but I'm gonna try to pop the clutch tomorrow after work.

As for mods, I honestly have no idea. He said he had a cam put in but that's all I really know, and headers and exhaust which he says is insanely loud, and the car shakes at idle. I'm excited as hell to play with this thing since I've never owned
A) a second vehicle
B) a project
C) a rwd car
D) a v8

And it has almost brand new tires, which is good :lawl:

Vidjas:
First Drive

1-2-3 Pull, mostly for sound

Idle

progress:
Update 5/24/2014:
Popped the battery from the accord on a hunch and she fired up first try. Drove a little bit since it isnt registered or insured but i had to. pulls hard, brakes good, awesome clutch, fun as hell to drive. The timing cover has a chunk missing from it so i'll probably take the things apart that i need to tomorrow. then whenever i get the new cover and water pump and gaskets i can just throw them in and piece it back together. then next stop is the georgia DMV to get it registered.

a few hours later...:
I got to taking off the accessory belt and tension pulley today, then got stuck on a bolt on the bracket that holds the power steering pump. well after a couple episodes of seinfeld and relaxing a bit, i got back to work. went outside and tried again and got the bracket off. Then i took off the water pump and could see where a lot of coolant was coming from:

Then after getting the crank pulley out of the way, i realized i didnt have a 15/16" socket to take the harmonic balancer out. but i still got around to at least loosening all of the timing cover bolts, only to realize that this was happening:

and a little of this:

I think its safe to say that all of that oil and grease and pure shittyness you see around the engine bay is from those 2 things. I get paid on June 1st so that is when I'll be ordering the new timing cover and gasket set along with a new water pump and gasket set. Then it'll be an oil change and coolant flush with water to get things cleaned up a bit in the block. I'm going back to NY for a few weeks for block leave so I probably wont get everything back together until july, unless i can get it done the week of friday the 13th. till then, no further work will be done...except maybe cleaning all of the old parts from the interior:

5/26/2014 update:
Finally got the timing cover off, this thing was really stuck on there. Cleaned up the surfaces a bit where the gaskets are going.

Also did a bit more undercoating on the floor

You can tell that I'm just kinda sprayin and prayin with it since i hit the panels a little bit with the overspray, this isnt a show car. carpet is in the trash. im not to worried about the interior, except for there not being mold and bugs.

Here is how the car looks every time ive worked on it over this weekend, i have to unload everything and load everything back up every time i leave or take a break and come inside

engine bay as it sits now

I think i'll go ahead and put the interior back together now since its not insanely hot and humid right now. gotta unload again...

July 4th Update:
Quick 1-2 pull, fly by in 2nd, and revs. and idle

July 5th: Got a new alternator, that seemed to be the problem. Voltage was looking great, had it running for about an hour or so today and didn't even think of dying. Also did a quick 0-60, less than 6 seconds, 5.39 (approx).

Last edited:

Brimstone Brown

Reaction score
Sweet deal! As far as mustangs go I've always had a soft spot for the fox body. Good luck with your project.

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
Looks like it needs a bit of exterior work, but overall nice buy. Those used to be my least favorite mustangs but after driving one I started to really like them

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020T using Tapatalk

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
That almost looks like 6GA paint! :lawl: Looks like a fun car man, enjoy it.

Shaking maybe broken motor mount?

cmgreensr

Reaction score
Had a 90 lx 5.0 5 spd for about 6 years. The shaking at idle could be the cam but without knowing which one he put in, it's hard to tell you.

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
yeah. i just picked up a radiator from a shop that does cooling and such for $80. im gonna attempt to at least get the old one out along with the fan and fan clutch. hopefully i just need to replace the fan.

Thanks guys, its kinda neat finally having a project car that can be awesome one day. im gonna just get it running and registered and insured, do a tune up and oil change, then slowly piece together the interior. everything is there but having a window down for almost 2 years makes it smell funky

cmgreensr

Reaction score
My fan did the same thing in mine, ended up switching to an aluminum radiator and switched to an electric fan. Don't remember it being a hard job and if I could do it, then I'm sure you got it under control!

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
got the radiator out no problem, but i dont have any 11mm wrenches to break the fan/clutch bolts loose. after several busted knuckles while trying to use pliers, i'll probably go buy one (11mm wrench) tomorrow. didn't put the new radiator in yet since i havent decided if i want to go with an electric fan or a new mechanical fan with new blade and clutch. hopefully i can find one around here for cheap.

also took the passenger side window motor out so i could get the window up. the regulator is spring loaded so it stays up. it was getting dark so i just left it, i'll probably get a piece of wood or something to keep the window up. also need to replace the door panel since its all damp and moldy from being wet for so long

cmgreensr

Reaction score
If you're looking for parts besides Craigslist, try corral(dot)net. It will be your new best friend.

Back