Gas smell

datechboss101

Reaction score
Looks like the canister is showing signs of failing. I just did the prime (brother switched between off and on positions multiple times) and I didn't see any gas leaking. Went underneath the car and the smell was strong from the rear drivers side door. I usually do at least 5 clicks before I close the gas tank door, so that is not the issue. Also, I didn't see any rust under the car while I was down there... (unfortuantely parents made me to return the tools, so, I tried my best to fit my big figure underneath that small ground clearance).

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
Sorry i forgot to get the diagram, ill download tomorrow at work. If your smelling it there it will be either the canister or the valve attached to vent gas fumes back to the motor. Ive ready online of many 6th gens having issues with the evap canister so may be good start to check. Havent seen to many at my work though. Luckly its easy to access so you may want to remove it and check for cracking or damaged hoses attached. I do have a discount code for rock auto so if you need it let me know. Your issue sounds exactly what im dealing with (same location). Also your fuel injectors are in the engine bay near the front of the intake manifold if you have a f23 or if you have the j30 its in between the two valve covers under the intake manifold.

Last edited:

datechboss101

Reaction score
Sorry i forgot to get the diagram, ill download tomorrow at work. If your smelling it there it will be either the canister or the valve attached to vent gas fumes back to the motor. Ive ready online of many 6th gens having issues with the evap canister so may be good start to check. Havent seen to many at my work though. Luckly its easy to access so you may want to remove it and check for cracking or damaged hoses attached. I do have a discount code for rock auto so if you need it let me know. Your issue sounds exactly what im dealing with (same location). Also your fuel injectors are in the engine bay near the front of the intake manifold if you have a f23 or if you have the j30 its in between the two valve covers under the intake manifold.

Where is the evap canister and the evap valve located? I have to do this while the car is literally on the driveway, as parents told me to return the jack stands and jack.

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
Sorry was very busy today, the evap canister is on the driverside in front the driverside rear suspension. If you look below your car at the bottom right corner of the driverside passenger door you can see it on the other sside of the frame. The shut off valve (sorry i had said bypass valve but that is wrong) will be facing you on the side further from the rear suspension. Its a small sort of black box if front of the large black evap canister. I would first remove this valve and clean it with carb cleaner. This normally gets crap preventing it from closing allowing vapor to eacape. Wont be easy to get to on the ground you may try pulling on a curb and let the both rear wheels sit on the road.

. Here is the thread about it but tge pics are gone but follow the instructions.
http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38000

Now this video will show you the location pay attention to when it shows you the evap canister you will see the shutoff valve on the left upper side when the camera faces the evap canister 49 seconds .Its the small black box with a harness.
https://youtu.be/X8BlqUfohcI

If the link dont work for the video search YouTube for
Honda accord EVAP canister location & PCV valve location
It's posted by a user Scotties hobbies.

Last edited:
Back