Noob from Georgia

Lwash

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have lurked and looked, but only just recently joined because of the guilt I I feel using information and not offering anything in return. I am not sure I have anything to offer, but maybe someone can learn from my experiences.

I am mostly self taught. I cut my teeth on my 2002 Xterra (aka The Bad Boy) last year when I replaced the radiator, changed the bypass hose, installed a new headliner and even managed to get to the infamous spark plug #6. Not bad for a 61 year old grandma.

I am working on our 1998 Honda Accord V4 2.3l automatic with 334,000 miles.
My husband bought it new and my youngest son started using it 4 years ago when he went off to college. Husband babied it. Son neglected it.

She runs good but suffers from aging parts as well as a Cylinder 6 misfire for which I am trying to find the cause. It is a long story which I will post once I know the outcome. I have kept my costs to a minimum, not throwing money at it hoping for a fix.

If at the end of the story I discover the issue is too expensive given the age of the car, I will not consider it an exercise in futility. I have learned much along the way. That knowledge has come from this website and others. For that, I thank you. :)

Lwash

Reaction score
The issues with spark and fuel have been resolved. New Plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, external o-ring.
Hopefully, the fuel issues have been resolved. Injectors tested okay and I cleaned them all.
I started it up Sunday. Started fine but kept sputtering and would die as soon as I released pressure from the gas pedal. That is when I discovered I had not pushed any of the injectors all the way into the engine side openings which explained the pooling of gasoline on the manifold runners. Putting it back together now.
I do need a new air intake duct but making do with duct tape for now.
Next big step would be a compression test.

Sino

Reaction score
Check that tape regularly, a ruptured duct is not good, but sucking tape into the engine is really not good lol

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Wow, can't say a 61 year old woman working on her car is common to hear about here. Welcome, and I hope the site is a good resource for you. :)

james'99

Reaction score
If you find yourself needing better direction, post up a new thread in a different corner of the site! It will definitely get more attention. I doubt compression is your sputtering issue. I would check the IACV as they tend to get clogged up on these cars. Located on the rear of the upper half of the intake manifold. Have a check engine light?

Back