New To 6th Gen Accords / F23 Scene..

Reaction score
This was my favorite build so far. Not because of any spectacular power...but because I meticulously picked the parts to build the perfect No-Tec D-Series engine that would run as well as stock and be fun to drive. These days, though, I'd go F23 in a heartbeat. I've built dozens of D Series motors..it's time for something new. And I love the simplicity of SOHC setups.

This was it's final incarnation..

The Start -

Stock 93 D15B7 Block - Chosen because of the flat-top pistons. Excellent for compression..unforgiving if something like a timing belt decided to fail. Rods are on the weak side but I wasn't planning on boosting this..so they were no issue, really.

1991 D16A6 Head -
Bigger, tougher springs than the B7 or the B2. It's just the obvious choice for something like this. Rebuilt.

The ZC Cam - The cam lobes of the D15B7 look kinda' weak when compared to some of it's peers. The D16A6 cam is a great choice...but I wanted something that no one had. I was able to track down a SOHC ZC camshaft from a guy in Canada. The SOHC ZC was basically just an A6 with a different cam. However, this cam gave the motor 10 more horsepower according to Honda. For daily driving, I knew exactly how I was gonna' set this up.

So far we've got the B7 block, the A6 head and the ZC camshaft.

COLD AIR INTAKE - I scored a cold air intake that went back and forth from short ram to cold air...regardless of the pics, it finally settled as a cold air intake.

HEADER - 4-2-1 Header. Simple. To the point

EXHAUST - 2" catback with cat delete and straight pipe. I don't recall which exhaust end I ended up using. I think it may have been a Greddy knock-off...but it sounded pretty decent.

The Goodies -

INTAKE MANI - Skunk2 d15/d16 intake manifold. May seem like overkill when you're not running boost..but when you tune it up right, they work perfect for these setups. Boosted or not. So do the Z6 manifolds...but the Skunk2 always felt more "open".

Cam Gear -
Rage Racing D16Y cam gear to offset the half-tooth difference when using A6 head / ZC cam on a B7 block.

ECU -
Chipped P06 and street tuned with Crome on my own p06 map

SHIFTING - Skunk2 Short-Shifter / Skunk2 weighted knob / Skunk2 bushings / linkage ..This thing just clicked into gear. It was amazing.

Gears - Stage 2 clutch on Civic Si trans.

Here is where it got fun. I wanted to feel the low RPMs. It was a daily driver. I didn't want all my power after 4k. I initially advanced the cam 3* and set the ignition base timing to 15/16. I did some pretty aggressive changes to the low to mid timing and went for 14.7s everywhere. After advancing the cam and playing with the idle speed, I had to tweak the idle speed on the ECU. But when I got everything together, it was FACTORY smooth. You would never had known that car was being powered by a something so pieced together.

I spent so much time street tuning it and going through plugs. Just full-on labor. Hah!

It was a completely simple, no frills approach to getting the most out of those big, fat, No-Tec cam lobes. Also, after doing the valve lash and going tight, the power was just amazing. It was, BY FAR, the most fun NA Honda I've driven to date. Wish I still had it set up. I'm Hoping to have an F Series story like this by the end of the summer. I have a video of a pull when driving that setup. I'll find it and post it..

OXn2y5dxLSI0CXLQ0zzgqS7u3WfIlnKzWBV4p7Nu-0ubTbyKpcR7UZMWMrlZA6xgohs2hoUsN4Z6sUTcTQQF7JTgWqLFIXJY5wpr9jAFRmBKVcOKmPzndKzd58LP2Mq8quLFZ1mgtW1v1kNsv5byBMwo6xlKJH6Z88XpoZMNmDOpv12I9yZGOVhjc6MRsdb-alZiuZ6DJu2J03a0TCAkbM_Nyqp9HgVQZuziORsr68SbOd0QXc5IwRZerAQ7jas9sDHzdUI0PZ9LBl0ALnpa_8tiafqkW55C4_lMtFhrDh-t2p_OnaKRVcbAXmAJApoRtYSFHSs4miNj7bB4ABzrntkeWfQ5q4PA4N3BdJyrK1xSp7AtVexuSZeFYwLrETo0wpoibarchav0XOA_QvJw3qugVmeymIYxHl9iFumgY6JAGUT1UobKg5bemyYJ10Muo_3RnDApykLAQ1wt9sDoR0B5SrjXy0NcUjfpQUtKvoCzQzzn98nb5vnPo_RCc85ukf254M0GaB9tT_-ENJnP0iQVZOk6PDG5aPO1J-kZPfMvoiymSUCJEZtpvReK_E8Bah4aBUIA-5gio-AK-uF-iKgiW5_CYR4kAi1T3g=w612-h425-no

9VYafrYO4bFFLF1M9qQ56wH8PL8OiP2US9g8KZ_83x-I5kt44loYUqpu5Mkssm3R1i_S5IC6yv3lNW99XHDQY4dGLLaXByRurMyxELW-Iw62Hs6vLKNhkhdPjJmakZNIKKnrgx7rvbVCoHo5H53hiOaHthoatdYTCClBm1mzs7MW0jmkCs2KVH2r9AFTH0ZG6RE2Ne5-qlsF1BoEhpW6OfPCERLwrNWI4YBkb4mAdUPTvrUXsBr0VC_PxpQVIDzgrAB3a7F0N4kG1qXTl2UQEIqaH1i1A6TopyFFHd7h4AKGc1ICs-UV-K5uF_VyfS1JRQQonRR_XW0AFMXA14JA_5Oj87HFRER0R46cNVamwFn7NL9UT9UGgs9NLzWsjLql5QKxpPUC-yDeU8D5VvtyiUC-Y-rvRQ9pZ2Qy975Lfs1nQr8SYJyuXRhzBdDulxGr1stsCnaNxoLjo3HA2iQTMPHq-vjEOm25o1R2WRXCs-7a30fXvB7Znz5BycQetF3uYX10klICdiJETk-67z5AO9F5z-DxN1E9a_4pf_41wW9IAmbb7ENooh0OdpxwQ7dx_PkYVaRjhhFnJIgkAPSahmJY8PC9QYizt1sJdQ=w612-h459-no

uKlcJC04_Ygnb3rAlcn-wFWqu8r71oEBRGNKC0C5UPSbig51JZ1KE4Z8z3k0gJgE_bJsEJBtnio86anElayUAoQedAtIyq2o_Pp09bT6KQ542jShIknNhPs0qrhnOl2DTPhKdKFuxHePHro7FBEAQsIoLejWoIXO9ZUcEbUOLAC-1L4wVMIgmiHKPVB1IqesV_sWnJcIC05zJeGZRmJ7LmvZplRiVA94O0rHgsbcD7YH6s8rqbuBSfF94F-sZcCAdM1K521DJSWtU35-frQwQzePESiRaRrUxUbTa5WVEGRXyiV_yLsXIpJv1-3wG-zbRhp4PwQnbMUsu0XHq2h_EoCjKAV3d46MP12CVV4Qb-t1bDJ35GUTqnHIAErmh89TPB0YRQnn8in1aay-Z0Qik5K2zmHVE6rn9xpaaQEKa20-WC5dwBDso54RfPo0xdhO9OYgkXBaTUKyphCcd8Vc8XzoTblzZwSb5CL6sffHAsVa7auuoBVtAS9GFRiVJPbxKJgatOWxqI1CM_gYfMaPk8zcRU6bU2fEOZTOpGCsRaASeXTzEXJ3mq9O9_I-bjyIEjXLF5-piAVVL-EV6e6yL-LJqifMslfK7JnZQw=w612-h473-no

X_Hp8YhssLjAmzk1HxryvZ5dutsBtn5O1LVaPPuvRGW8xM9y3pHwoJ-E9_Ol8k8Nmca_jpcOIKto5C0gwTmO9xG1k4XBmIPgTA1KkXjbVhHh20AlkW8txheDpXSzirvGcusVmRx6CPXPlF0MLBWnRG7goI2MXtX0IsjW-Jnmp46vX2AAmd62mpZ1GE8zRTNScBy4mrxS2JCyc8w05bGnIuQCj8ZkpU6jYn_iNOoRx_U5y4Sc8jOdqGH5zvIzDGTTwKXwlKIYiF16eAwT_1q--Xf1069QG22U17l8gAerVuKxfQQGwUInhZ1Xsfja3-ayPh-_O39JVMRmlYImKe8OFYqDfmOWmIpjiDfpG3qBcgQ8zOT1yhuYJrgrqc1zdPZT73lQpW2T8ZSP5ZM8jT5TQGdpyzotIpfWur6wjhgod3b5xcHjTPXAa10sVDxDcATbRxn3Ilc3wuKra12L8Pou3iC-4jgtFq80NyKUxWNUagE1CYPWctBjFYYElqfP-6Ab3wWanYjN6hfwn4wpVXFPbGUZ6F8p5GaYB8Jlx-oOp5pcEntAClwRu-Ub84542sm6RAS7FjgyGyHWmDLVg08nGl46GWljglaN9oPmbg=w612-h425-no

Right after I painted it satin black...but hadn't lowered it yet. I loved the satin black. It looked great once the car was dropped 2 - 3"

0BGFo9MaR74hMfG_s6NhuxQXlhwo_glwbUArTyq0YG0pyQijA0jnUxzDpRO2f6tsx5hUVgH_2Wxng1GgwlgHCzh5kwcXJvqgbtGbjibraiMN5BtOb_Gz6rmq3SUC9JBetnObtNuLz8KVjNIm-cBGVoE6oWXu4ChJC24MkXkQzN0-8EwsOKdgTnR97k9AYXdQEhCo7FlwLiTZqN7fwwxNgW_ROXVf1ymV-DSvD8IVTN6bNSbTniHYEUrm_cH0VT2geHRbHEj3O0AYq8PL0hb4k_HiGB2Z0ub-UALD_Z4g9AD3wn8GFauU4ND2sxbGBv_Sd7oUI7W7GNAghpIM-9POC7snKof3c81juy8ZISQ-SYfL1PvBSHYgTeRiPlBmCSW7YLVER3lpgWEcbV8qn14DlD5Ppb8yoQ85uVMMftJ317qi36XItlCM3xlZSjUI8BM5G0jvu7UEtpO7YLAUl5NIVvHJpyExznoRPmvf-_bXcyWi5i0fXqy3_unZOmfKmR7TgPzBjUctnwO3doJcP531xIUJHrxCiseiW-r5-SoUCxP29JELxXr2FjIh7f-pwfwvkVdlBtNyF-LwEcUfWJC4bK2WocRCxUeNkkQqcw=w500-h332-no

Reaction score
You couldn’t have put it better :lawl: my cg currently has an f20b but I haven’t been putting sofa king Jdm stickers on my car because it was built in Ohio. There’s nothing Jdm about it really. Apart from the fact it’s a Japanese company and design. But still. You get those guys all the time. Most of us here are pretty cool. Sketch always says hi and disappears unless you talk about his car, rusty always recommends doing stuff correctly (noob) and I always recommend a swap and act entitled to fame because I’ve done two so far. Greg comes in and posts the shortest responses ever which are usually right and red Ryder will ban anything that moves if it breaks the rules (rightly so). I think you’ll like it here. You can be the guy who ‘gets it’ and wants to mod the car the right way lol. Hopefully you’re like me and in pursuit of speed and not bags and camber like most people are. Oh and eBay axleback ftw :lawl:

You, sir, are the man. I'm honored to share the forum with you.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Damn you have quite the report of Hondas. And that Del Sol build looks pretty sweet setup.

As for that free accord with over 300k miles, the timing belt is a ticking time bomb to blow the motor. Please get it changed ASAP.

If it were me I would not hesitate to swap a f23 into a gutted civic. Throw in a lightweight fly wheel, cam, intake and exhaust that would be all I wanted in a solid reliable sporty little car.

I never cared for slammed and cambered. I wouldn't be able to drive on half the streets or even get to work with a slammed setup. Dropped. Couple inches is fine with me.

I used to have a 1995 Camry LE coupe with the 5SFE and it was a solid motor. Wasn't the most powerful but it got me past 120mph and the non interference design made it virtually I destrucible. I drove it like I stole it for years and it still ran like a champ. I would have kept it for a work car but the whole front suspension was riding metal on metal. All of the rubber bushings were gone. No wonder the car rolled so much and why there was so much play in the steering wheel hAha.

Enne

Reaction score
Seems like your new CG3 is in great condition. Once you get that timing belt changed it'll be time to clean it up :) Love the leather seats!

capsidx

Reaction score
You, sir, are the man. I'm honored to share the forum with you.

Nah I’m just like you, building cars most people make fun of lol. My cg wants to die but I just won’t let it. I actually realized I didn’t want to give it up as bad as I thought. I put it up for trade on Craig’s and fb and I got mostly people offering me 1000 for it. Since I couldn’t do anything with that I said I to all of them lol. The forum is actually picking up so it’s not as dead (seemingly) as it was a few weeks ago. I’m really jealous of the civic build because it’s a lot of under appreciated work in a car that was never meant to be what it is today. Love your garage list so far. Also, how do you like the interior of the del sol space wise?

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
You couldn’t have put it better :lawl: my cg currently has an f20b but I haven’t been putting sofa king Jdm stickers on my car because it was built in Ohio. There’s nothing Jdm about it really. Apart from the fact it’s a Japanese company and design. But still. You get those guys all the time. Most of us here are pretty cool. Sketch always says hi and disappears unless you talk about his car, rusty always recommends doing stuff correctly (noob) and I always recommend a swap and act entitled to fame because I’ve done two so far. Greg comes in and posts the shortest responses ever which are usually right and red Ryder will ban anything that moves if it breaks the rules (rightly so). I think you’ll like it here. You can be the guy who ‘gets it’ and wants to mod the car the right way lol. Hopefully you’re like me and in pursuit of speed and not bags and camber like most people are. Oh and eBay axleback ftw :lawl:

Yup, I'm a noob, and I'll be the 1st to admit it. But then I have a tendency to rebuild a car back to stock to get 10 or more years out of it without having to keep fixing it. That shiite gets old real quick. I prepped my Accord for winter use back in August, September, and October (as funds would allow), so I didn't have to crawl under it when slush was falling off it, and freezing my butt off. But, I also have a small fleet of vehicles that I have to take care of, along with the 3 Accords I have here. I'll admit it, I'm a GM guy who just recently got into Hondas, and my 99 Accord was built in Japan. :)
I should also add that I've built a few engines over the years (just not a Honda...yet), and I do automotive restoration work (mostly rust repair, but other parts of the vehicle as well). About the only thing I don't rebuild is automatic transmissions.

Oh, and that hybrid D15 looks damn good. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Damn you have quite the report of Hondas. And that Del Sol build looks pretty sweet setup.

As for that free accord with over 300k miles, the timing belt is a ticking time bomb to blow the motor. Please get it changed ASAP.

If it were me I would not hesitate to swap a f23 into a gutted civic. Throw in a lightweight fly wheel, cam, intake and exhaust that would be all I wanted in a solid reliable sporty little car.

I never cared for slammed and cambered. I wouldn't be able to drive on half the streets or even get to work with a slammed setup. Dropped. Couple inches is fine with me.

I used to have a 1995 Camry LE coupe with the 5SFE and it was a solid motor. Wasn't the most powerful but it got me past 120mph and the non interference design made it virtually I destrucible. I drove it like I stole it for years and it still ran like a champ. I would have kept it for a work car but the whole front suspension was riding metal on metal. All of the rubber bushings were gone. No wonder the car rolled so much and why there was so much play in the steering wheel hAha.

I was joking about the free Accord with 300k+ miles. I was emulating the typical dude that wants 500 WHP for nothing. And usually on a worn out motor.

I'm not into the slammed and camber setups either. A couple inches is cool. Otherwise, I'd be bottoming out every five minutes on these Michigan roads.

I still have a '91 Celica GT with the 5SFE. Runs excellent...but typically, the fifth gear disappeared. Then the whole transmission blew. I'm going to replace it this spring.

The actual '00 Accord EX that I did buy was a steal. New timing belt, water pump, clutch, etc. All the work you usually need to do when you buy a car. It was a serious steal.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yup, I'm a noob, and I'll be the 1st to admit it. But then I have a tendency to rebuild a car back to stock to get 10 or more years out of it without having to keep fixing it. That shiite gets old real quick. I prepped my Accord for winter use back in August, September, and October (as funds would allow), so I didn't have to crawl under it when slush was falling off it, and freezing my butt off. But, I also have a small fleet of vehicles that I have to take care of, along with the 3 Accords I have here. I'll admit it, I'm a GM guy who just recently got into Hondas, and my 99 Accord was built in Japan. :)
I should also add that I've built a few engines over the years (just not a Honda...yet), and I do automotive restoration work (mostly rust repair, but other parts of the vehicle as well). About the only thing I don't rebuild is automatic transmissions.

Oh, and that hybrid D15 looks damn good. :)

Body work is fun, man. I actually like doing it. I need a welder, though. It's like the only thing I don't have. I want to be able to easily replace metal. That would be the shiiiiiiit.

Reaction score
Seems like your new CG3 is in great condition. Once you get that timing belt changed it'll be time to clean it up :) Love the leather seats!

It is! Except for a couple dents in the body..there is a tiny bit of rust on the inside of the passenger, rear wheel well. Easy fix. It's just kinda' dirty from sitting outside the guy's garage for a month.

Thanks on the leather. I'm going to treat it after I give it a real cleaning. It's been too cold to really get into the detailing.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
I'm not into the slammed and camber setups either. A couple inches is cool. Otherwise, I'd be bottoming out every five minutes on these Michigan roads.

The actual '00 Accord EX that I did buy was a steal. New timing belt, water pump, clutch, etc. All the work you usually need to do when you buy a car. It was a serious steal.

Glad to I'm not the only 1 who hates the condition of Michigan roads. Like my buddy said to me 2 weeks ago, if you can go a 1/2 a mile between pot holes, it's a good road.:henry: They just suck around here. To make things worse, I live between 2 sets of rail road tracks, and they are both terrible. Instead of fixing them, they just put up a "rough crossing" sign. :doh:

Sounds like you got a really good deal on your Accord. Nice. I paid 350 for mine, as it needed a harmonic balancer/lower pulley and the timing reset. After I made sure it wasn't making "expensive" noises, I replaced the timing belt with an Aisin timing bet kit from Rock Auto. I've replaced a bunch of stuff on it since. It's been a good car after doing a bunch of work to it. Lots of beer runs. :)

Back