Engine Cutting Out

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
I have a 98 Accord LX with a 2.3L I4 with a little over 235,000 miles on it. About 6 weeks ago my car's engine just started cutting out for anywhere from a fraction of a second to 3 seconds. Then the RPMs would come back up (if it didnt completely die) and it would be running fine again. I replaced the distributor cap and the rotor button (they were very worn out) and the problems went away... for a few weeks and now its starting to come back :banghead:. It has died on me 5 times in the past 2 days (all in the driveway) and cut out twice for a fraction of a second while driving it. Any ideas what it could be?

additional info: newish spark plugs, just checked gap and they look normal.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Next thing I'd check is your ignition switch. There is a recall on them, so if it has not been performed on your car the dealer will replace it for free. Or if you prefer to do it yourself there is a DIY guide here.

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
That was already replaced and I dont think thats the problem because the key light doesn't come on like it did before we got it replaced. also is there anyway I could "test" it?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I wonder if the main relay could do this...

Any of your gauges drop?

98 you're not to have coolant temp or fuel die. I don't think the speedo will die, but the tach will.

Or they all die, I gotta check the wiring diagram...

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
I just got home from work and it did 3 more times one right after the other. The only gauge that drops is the tach but thats because the rpms are but the guages are still active the whole time. A few years ago i resoldered the main relay because the rpms would drop to about 500 (but it wouldnt die) when it had been sitting in the sun in summer. That fixed that issue and i just re-resoldered it to be sure that wasnt the issue and it didnt make a difference.

Another thing that might be related: earlier when i was checking the spark plugs the second one was loose. i remember tightening down that same plug a while back because it came loose. what would cause that? Ill add a photo of the spark plug wires when i get a chance because the 2nd wire has gunk on it that got past the plug. I dont think the wire is the problem tho because the gunk just wiped off and it looks fine

Last edited:

james'99

Reaction score
I just got home from work and it did 3 more times one right after the other. The only gauge that drops is the tach but thats because the rpms are but the guages are still active the whole time. A few years ago i resoldered the main relay because the rpms would drop to about 500 (but it wouldnt die) when it had been sitting in the sun in summer. That fixed that issue and i just re-resoldered it to be sure that wasnt the issue and it didnt make a difference.

Another thing that might be related: earlier when i was checking the spark plugs the second one was loose. i remember tightening down that same plug a while back because it came loose. what would cause that? Ill add a photo of the spark plug wires when i get a chance because the 2nd wire has gunk on it that got past the plug. I dont think the wire is the problem tho because the gunk just wiped off and it looks fine

This is quite odd to diagnose. No check engine light? and if not, the light bulb does work, right?

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
This is quite odd to diagnose. No check engine light? and if not, the light bulb does work, right?

no check engine light and the bulb does work. (comes on momentarily when i start it) it used to be on for catalytic converter inefficiency stuff that i really dont care about so i put a spacer on the second O2 sensor so i could tell if it finds another problem. and that was done about 10,000 miles ago.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
fuel pump...

If you can run a tester when it is happening. I always have one installed :p

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
After doing more research I found that misfires can be caused by oil in the distributor. When i replaced the cap and button I noticed it had a thin layer of oil in it as well as under the distributor. Some things I read said that the inner seal can't be replaced and others say it can. Does anyone know if you can and if so how? Also the distributor is a Hitachi.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I know the basics of replacing a seal, but I have never swapped one...

I'll research this...

Back