"Big Three / Grounding Kit" - Improving your electrical grounds

xluben

Reaction score
FallenAngelHIM said:
any ideas about the 3/8 or 5/16 for the ring terminals?
which one do i get for 1/0 gage wires?

those sizes are for the ring hole.

the other end (for the wire) will fit 1/0.

NokBlue

Reaction score
i used Tiff connectors. they are 2 piece screw on ring terminals. also i heat-shrinked the ends.
2320886_22_full.jpg

2320886_24_full.jpg

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
im just going on the partsexpress website and im about to click order now but dont know if i need 3/8 or 5/18

xluben

Reaction score
FallenAngelHIM said:
im just going on the partsexpress website and im about to click order now but dont know if i need 3/8 or 5/18

bigger would generally be better, but it doesn't really matter.

the only issue would be if you get one with too small of a hole and your bolt won't fit through.

if it's too small you can always get out the drill and make it a bit bigger.

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
do the ring terminals HAVE to be gold or platinum? i know gold or platinum helps reduce corrosion but the only thing i found locally was by JL Audio and they are "Bright Nickel Plated Brass Power Rings"

these are 1/0 gage and fit the bolts, but i am wondering if gold or platinum really matter, besides it being less open to corrosion.

also, what fuse did you guys use when you did the battery to alternator ground?

Last edited:

xluben

Reaction score
FallenAngelHIM said:
do the ring terminals HAVE to be gold or platinum? i know gold or platinum helps reduce corrosion but the only thing i found locally was by JL Audio and they are "Bright Nickel Plated Brass Power Rings"

these are 1/0 gage and fit the bolts, but i am wondering if gold or platinum really matter, besides it being less open to corrosion.

no, you don't "need" gold/platinum. the jl audio ones should be fine, but i'm guessing they're a bit overpriced. buying them locally might be enough to cancel this out, though.

FallenAngelHIM said:
also, what fuse did you guys use when you did the battery to alternator ground?

alternator to batter is not ground. you don't need to fuse any ground wires.

our alternator is rated at 80 amps (i think), so that's all the higher you'd really need.

but 1/0 wire can handle over 150amps of current, so that's about the max you'd want. (i used 150)

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
yeah the JL Audio ones were overpriced locally, but i didn't want to wait and pay for shipping.
they didn't have 1/0 AWG wires though, so if i can't find any locally by the end of the week, i might just return the JL ones and buy everything online.

i want to try and get this done by the weekend.

okay, so there are how many grounds then? 2? plus the battery to alternator?
that concludes the "Big Three" right?

Back