DIY Throttle Body Bypass

Johnson

Reaction score
Basically the coolant flows around the throttle body and warms up the throttle plate so it does not stick in cold temperatures. Theoretically after doing this mod it should drop the air temperature. It is only to be used in areas that never get below 32 degrees. It is easily reversible. Use at your own risk.

Time:30minutes
Parts/tools:
5/16" or .3125" brass splicer- To connect the two hoses. $3
However!!!! The correct line size is 5/16", or .3125". I discovered this when the trying to use the suggested 1/4" barb hose connector. Wich jiggled loosely in both lines. Just to be sure that the hose wasn't just stretched from being on there so long, I used a micrometer to check the metal hose connections on the motor.
(2) 7/32" or 1/4" Vaccum Caps or Tape- To plug up the holes. $2
(2) 1/4"X5/8" Hose clamp- To clamp the two coolant hoses. $2
Rag
Needle Nose Pliers
Flat head- To tighten the hose clamps.
IMG_2530.jpg

01062011734.jpg

so for 4cyl- Needs 5/16 brass splice
along with 5/16 vac. caps
the clamps mentioned above worked.

Steps/Pictures
WARNING! Before you start make sure your car is cold. I will not be held responsible for your stupidity.
Step 1:
Remove intake.
Step 2:
IMG_2534.jpg

IMG_2540.jpg

Step 3:
01062011733.jpg

Step 4:
The vacuum caps come a bit small so what I did to make them fit easier was to use a pair of needle nose pliers and twisted it a couple times to make it fit easier.

IMG_2549.jpg

Step 5:
Check for leaks.
Step 6:
Put on your intake. Done!

Please rep if this has been helpful for you.
-->Clicky

Last edited:

J30MAN

Reaction score
should this not be done in climates where the temp drops below freezing?

Geewiz

Reaction score
wait, what? I'm no pro at engine mechanics, but why bypass it?

J30MAN

Reaction score
wait, what? I'm no pro at engine mechanics, but why bypass it?

he tells why...basically it stop from the coolant passing through your throttle body...which through rides will get warm and warm the air going into your engine and "slow your car".

Geewiz

Reaction score
he tells why...basically it stop from the coolant passing through your throttle body...which through rides will get warm and warm the air going into your engine and "slow your car".

I know typically you'd want cooler, denser air hence intercooler for turbos. What application would be the reasoning for warmer?

J30MAN

Reaction score
I know typically you'd want cooler, denser air hence intercooler for turbos. What application would be the reasoning for warmer?

the reason it has those coolant lines is so the throttle doesn't get stuck when its cooled. he says everything up there.

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
i have had this mod done for over 3 years, its a good cheap easy mod

Snoobly

Reaction score
but if you live in iowa where temps get below zero at times, then you prolly shouldn't do this... right?

Back