VERY bright interior dome light DIY

gt58

Reaction score
I had this little idea for a dome light project. my idea was to get two boards and splice them together. each board has 48 led's and they are pretty bright by them self. i had one board in my dome and it was really bright but i wanted something more. this is a 6 dollar mod that will leave your interior looking like daytime.

Goal: have fun with this little project and have my interior bright as day.
the LED board: 48 SMD Pure White Light Panel T10 BA9S Festoon Dome 48 LED Interior Lamp Bulb
everything I used: (2) Led boards, wire cutters, wire strippers, heat shrink tube, soldering iron + solder, lighter (for heat shrink tube)

I took both boards and laid them out in the plastic dome light cover to get an idea of how much wire i would still need to get it to fit but not be overflowing with extra wire in there. i took both red wires after i cut them to the appropriate size and stripped them and twisted those together. did the same step for the black wires. then on the male connector piece i cut and stripped those and added the shrink tubing before i connected that to the two twisted wires from the led boards. i soldered the wires together and when that cooled i slid down the shrink tubing and used a lighter to make a tight seal. i went into the car and put the spring loaded connector in and positioned the lights in the plastic tray before i pushed it back in. i did not use the adhesive tape that comes on the LED board. after the lights were in the right position i snapped the plastic piece in and waited for night to try it out. Night fell and i took my car out to test my little project out. it is so dam bright in my car i was so stoked. the whole inside was as bright as daytime.

IMG_20130110_162540.jpg

IMG_20130110_162555.jpg

IMG_20130110_163049.jpg

IMG_20130110_163057.jpg

IMG_20130110_163109.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

if you guys have a soldering iron and 6 bucks you can have your car looking like daytime. i know this isnt a full DIY but still the idea is here and you can see pics of it executed.

let me guys know what you think!! :)

Last edited:

gt58

Reaction score

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
thank you!!

too bright? maybe. fun? most definitely :)

hahaha but forreal i hated having the weak light up top so i wanted to do something about it. i did it mostly for that but also for when i unlock my car it looks super bright inside.

yes. so you can see if there's a killer in the back seat ready with a strangling wire. :lawl: i guess its pretty cool. which reminds me, i need to get my key fob

gt58

Reaction score
I wonder if those will fit in the map lights, too.....

they might. i have some more coming for my gf's car and ill test fit it before i give it to her and let you know if they do. i currently have 20 LED bulbs up front in the map

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330822361579

they are pretty dam bright too!!

yes. so you can see if there's a killer in the back seat ready with a strangling wire. :lawl: i guess its pretty cool. which reminds me, i need to get my key fob

hahaha exactly i dont want a killer in my car!!

Mikey

Reaction score
So those 20s will fit? OK. If the 48 boards won't I'm sure a 32 will. I'm gonna look into fitting boards in the doors and trunk as well.

Back