Hello! New to 6th gen 165k maintenance suggestions ?

wickedhoopla

Reaction score
Hello all!
I recently acquired at 2000 EX V6 accord with about 165k miles on it. It runs just fine however, i have no history on the car what so ever.

I've been thinking about doing the timing belt and water pump since i have no idea how long its been or really when it should be done on this car.

Any other maintenance suggestions to keep this accord on the road would be appreciated very much!

Thanks in advance

2000 honda accord V6 EX sedan AT

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

No history at all? That sucks. Well I would def start with the timing maintenance. Check fluids (pwr steering, coolant, oil, tranny, brake, etc). Check the rotor thickness and pad life. Check the tires if you haven't already.

Then there's other stuff like air filter, bulbs. Some will suggest a tranny cooler.

Last edited:

Compeek

Reaction score
Hi there!

I would certainly recommend getting that timing belt changed. Our cars have interference engines, which means they'll get destroyed if the belt breaks.

If the oil hasn't been changed recently, it couldn't hurt to just do that, too.

Also, I would highly recommend a complete cleaning of the car inside and out, if for no other reason than it just feels great afterward. My car really started to feel like my own once I cleaned the entire thing (I even recently took the seats out and scrubbed the carpet with soap and water). :D

wickedhoopla

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions...a good cleaning does sound like a nice idea ! I got a little rust to take care of as well in the wheel well and some wax probably would make it nice. So far i am enjoying my new ride nice upgrade from my 94 ;D

Bax

Reaction score
Maybe service the transmission? just in case previous owner didn't do it. Our transmissions aren't the best in the world, so it's better safe then sorry.

Welcome, hope you find everything you need from the site. Lots of information, just need to search. :thumbup:

FlipStylie

Reaction score
Acquired.... Nice

Since you have no history, and if you have some extra $$, I would recommend taking it to your local mechanic to give the car a good physical. Check seals, valves, filters..soup to nuts. Doesn't mean you have to fix everything you find especially on a 165K car, but it's good to know the shape of the vehicle and what might creep up on you in the near future. Eventhough though many on this board are quite capable under the hood, I always feel a little more comfortable going to a certified mechanic first, and then getting a sense of what I can do myself, and what I might need to get some help on.

Other than that, best of luck and welcome to 6ga

ActNow

Reaction score
Welcome. Get this while your at your local auto parts store as well.

2z8c0mo.jpg

Back