DIY headlight sealing (after retro or blackhousing) NO 56K

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
Common problem after opening up our headlights and putting them back together, they will fog up. You can use rtv to re seal them, but then it become difficult to reopen them.

This method will give you a 100% perfect seal, no fog and you can re open them if needed.
i am not responsible for any damage you do while doing this DIY

PLEASE STICKY THIS IF POSSIBLE
Tools/materials needed
My sisters 6ga had some water build up on the inside so i opened it up to clean it up

Step 1 Remove the headlight(s) Search for a diy if needed

Step 2 Remove all the bulbs and the rubber seals

Step 3 Pre heat oven to 295, then place wood on the stove rack

Step 4 Place the headlight in for 10 mins

Step 5 Remove the headlight, pry the tabs up just enough. BE CAREFUL not to break them. start at the corner by the highbeam and pry it open. A knife is usefull to cut the strands of glue. clean the reftector, housing and lenses if needed

Step 6 Take your ribbon sealer or butyl, run it around the edge where the oem glue is, stretching it slightly as you go

Step 7 Place the half with the reflectors back in the oven at 295 for 5 minutes, just to soften the glue.

Step 8 Remove the piece from the oven and press the lens and back part together, lining up the tab. place back in the oven for 10 minutes again at 295

Step 9 Using zip ties and/or clamps secure the parts together until cooled

Step 10 Remove the clamps and zip ties, reinstall and admire the new clean headlight

my retros after a wash sealed with this method. no fog

OEM black housings sealed with only the remaining oem glue, after a wash. FOGGY no bueno
534145_519726204754204_1240506947_n.jpg

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Hopefully those without the common sense will see this :lawl:

TRS offers butyl at checkout. It's not 3M but works just as well.

mart1n

Reaction score
Correct me if i am totally wrong. But i have seen some peeps change the housing to black, would vinyl be a bad idea instead of painting them black?

nsjames

Reaction score
you can find butyl tape at any RV place as well.

it's what they seal up windows with.

Like I know something about building a motorhome....

1radaccord

Reaction score
The right stuff the super black silicone is what I used to seal my headlights and I just need to trim it up been too lazy but it sealed perfect!

Back