V6 Alternator Upgrade DIY W/ pics

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Can't hold that against you, to go with the new OEM parts.

Since they are actually still readily available, why not.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Problem with the scrapyard, or mine at least, is you never know how many miles are on the parts. Assessing visually is all you can do.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Guess it depends on the reputability of the yard as well, if they are known for carrying decent parts, you can probably rely on what they sell, shady yards will sell whatever, just to make a buck.

There are a couple here that have pretty good reputations, and fortunately carry all the parts I will be looking to get, so, that's been a plus.

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
Well that is certainly interesting, I don't doubt you because I know you are very thorough with things. Actually lower in the listing it does say the Manufacturer is Denso, and says it is OEM Denso below that (that's the way it reads anyway)... but above all that it says the brand is WAI World Power Systems. So a bit misleading, but after looking closely I think you are right. Thought I found a good deal. :lawl:

Thanks for the heads up! Post yours up when you get it, I want to see what it looks like. If it has the black plastic housing on the back of it, that is not the one you want. I don't think it will though.

^ Yeah, I'm pretty sure this one has no black cover like Delphi's. Sadly, it's still BNIB unopened, but I'll show you when the work starts. It's supposed to be done a lot sooner though.. It's great to be busy, but it's been too much juggling atm haha.
Hope this helps.
IMAG6153_zpsl1wusk9i.jpg

IMAG6149_zpszd7wofba.jpg

Can't hold that against you, to go with the new OEM parts.

Since they are actually still readily available, why not.
Yes, sir. Why not.

I've been collecting new oem parts, and I recently realized that new parts still age (oxidate?) after the production time, over the course of years, even if they're BNIB. I've been learning to get parts from reputable suppliers that have good inventory management for stocking newly manufactured parts (fresh parts) and be available w/ fair price. (Instead of buying new oem parts randomly from online sellers for cheap.) It's because certain parts, i.e. made in rubber & plastic, have more higher demand to be reproduced / remanufactured because of the associated level of consumption / corrosion. Fresher ones are out there, but poorly old ones can also available for cheap, stocked up, collecting dusts.

Well, this is of course if you're trying to get most out of the new oem parts you get for fairly an old car I suppose, but this can also reduce the risk of parts' premature failure imo, especially belts 'n hose components. Maybe the risk is low, but I'd like to stay away from taking risks in general. :)

Last edited:

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
^ Yeah, it's so shiny and I love it! Yes sir, it'll be done by this Wednesday!

SykVSyx

Reaction score
SO, did they have the new Oddy alternators, because then you could have gotten that as a new OEM part, and it would have been an upgrade.

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
^ The one I got is an oem '01 Oddy's new piece by Denso. I know I've said that "I've been collecting 'new oem parts' for my car", but this particular one is, I should say, not 6gen's oem piece, b/c it's an oem piece for an Oddy. It's just a brand new genuine Denso Oddy alt swap I'm having. Hope I'm not confusing you or anything.

Well, the bad boy is finally on, but I couldn't be there at the shop today.. Wasn't told any issues or concerns, so I'm sure it's all good to go!

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Awesome. I was going to tease ya about not DIY'ing any of that doable work, but when you said you work 6 days a week I totally understand.

Back