steering not right..feels unsafe to have kids in

Rheinrich23

Reaction score
hey guys yesterday i was driving down the highway and kinda all of sudden felt like i had a passenger front flat..so i pulled over and not flat..3 psi short of perfect..so i put air in for the hell of it and still same thing..seems that i have to move the wheel more to turn then before and steering not as responsive as it was..feels kinda like floating once in a while..and for some odd reason my front suspension doesnt feel as rough over bumps now..im kinda lost at the moment..power steerin fluid good and pump working..idk if has summin to do with column and rack? when i bought the car the dude was wanting to put uppercontrol arms on front but he bought another 6th gen an kept em..im just nervous bout havin my 2 daughters in the car incase it is summin serious like the column or summin..i have no idea..my dad used to be mechanic and he told me i was spaced out yesterday and said seemed fine but i know how my car drives and handles and summin is up..it was pullin to the right and was shimmying a little..any help would be much much appreciated..thanks

001Stunna

Reaction score
Assuming you checked the PS fluid and everything is ok and topped up and that your tire pressure was checked with the tires cold(not driven for 3+ hours) and withing the 32psi recommend range(or a bit more if you like)...

-Jack the front right corner up so the tire is off the ground.
-Grab the wheel at 9/3 and push and pull on it. There should be very slight movement if your steering wheel isnt locked(you will see your steering wheel move a bit with this movement. If you feel any kind of clunk/thump movement your outer tierods might need replacing.
-Do the same but grab the wheel at 12/6. Push and pull on it on the top and bottom. If any movement you might need to change the upper/lower ball joints.
-Shimmy under the car and grab the axle shaft with your hand and try to move it up/down; in/out. There should be very little in/out movement on the driver side and hardly anything on passanger side.
-Inspect the boots for leakage.
-Repeat the same for the other corner.
-Jack the whole front end in the car and inspect bushings underneath for the lower control arm, inspect sway bar bushings and brackets, check endlinks for play.

Back