Wont start! Pleeeez Hellpp! Cranking video attached...

98akkordLX

Reaction score
So the car's been sitting around for 2years and it wont start, 4cyl... i replaced dist cap/rotor/spkplugs, it cranks and almost starts and dies. I took a video of what it sounds like when i crank it a few times but it doesnt want to fire on. It has fuel at fuel rail and spark at the plugs(did test). What should i test for further diagnosis of this no start problem? here's a link to the video of what it sounds like when cranking... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WReLriY9h8
Would luv sum help! very frustrated at this point! Pleeze yeellpp!

jwong512

Reaction score
If I'm seeing that light correctly under the tachometer,when you try to crank the battery light stays on. I would assume that means your battery is dead as you said it yourself that the car has been sitting around for 2 years. Replace your battery and if that doesn't fix it, it's your starter.

Drift

Reaction score
You're down a cylinder. You can here the compression skipping as you crank.

Yes you have fuel and spark, but compression is also needed for the engine to run.

98akkordLX

Reaction score
You're down a cylinder. You can here the compression skipping as you crank.

Yes you have fuel and spark, but compression is also needed for the engine to run.

that makes a lot more sense than "needs new battery or starter" lol
Im sittn here crankin that engine just fine in the video and these guys come up with that for a reply? lol

Drift, you think it could be caused by one of the 4 sparkplugs fouled from too much unburnt gas in the cyl?
Also i have a very small leak in the fuel line that connects to the fuel rail(about a drop every 30-40 seconds), could this NO START be caused by insufficient fuel supply?
Or should i just jump to doing a compression test?
thnx 4 ur quick reply drift...

001Stunna

Reaction score
that makes a lot more sense than "needs new battery or starter" lol
Im sittn here crankin that engine just fine in the video and these guys come up with that for a reply? lol

Drift, you think it could be caused by one of the 4 sparkplugs fouled from too much unburnt gas in the cyl?
Also i have a very small leak in the fuel line that connects to the fuel rail(about a drop every 30-40 seconds), could this NO START be caused by insufficient fuel supply?
Or should i just jump to doing a compression test?
thnx 4 ur quick reply drift...

Dude you asked for help and ppl are trying. Don't be shooting that down unless you want to figure it out on your own.

I'd agree that you SHOULD check your battery. Voltage should be at least 12v with the car off. In addition since you took the plugs out already once, just do it again and check each cylinder compression at WOT. Make sure you disconnect fuel and spark to the engine when doing the above.(ie. fuel pump and distributor)

...and learn to say thank you to ppl who try, even if they may be wrong

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Eh, compression numbers cold are way too erratic. The car needs to be warmed up. But i agree with nick hes loosing compression on one cylinder.

You can try putting a capfull of transfluid down each cylinder and then do a comp check.

Make sure ur not loosing compression from crossthreaded plugs.

Drift

Reaction score
Take the plugs out and spray a little WD40 in each cylinder. It will loosen up the rusty rings a little. Once the engine gets a little heat into it I bet the compression will come up a bit.

kwak123

Teehee
Reaction score
just saying, that battery thing may not be entirely off...

on the z4, for some reason, engine would crank fine, but wouldn't fully start up, finally decided to turn headlights off (was trying to start up at night), and voila... turns out the battery was damn near close to dying

Back