Cleaning Headlight Lens

honda_dude

Reaction score
What is the best and effective way to clean or restore an cloudy headlight lens?? from the outside??

seb799

Reaction score
I use wet sanding, 600 grit, then 1500 and 3000
After, I use a 3m Polishing compound
And finaly a sealant applied by hand.

It takes about 30 minutes for the two headlights and the results are fabulous but if you don't have all that stuff, I know a guy who bought a 3m Restoration kit and results are great, It is a small version of all the stuff I listed above with small pad and it cost here in canada about 20 -30 $ and they are good for 2 headlights, but because we have HUGE headlights, it might take two.

I would def give it a try
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3MAutomotive/Aftermarket/Products/Featured_Products/Headlight/

Edit : The link above is kind of a DIY but its not the 3m Restoration Kit

Last edited:

meximan16

Reaction score
i just used my drill with a buffing pad, put some rubbing compound on, buffed if for about 20 mins (each), clean off, applied plastic polish and they came out pretty clean

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
at my local advanced auto parts i picked up a kit for like $20, came with a pre-treatment to get the yellow off, course, fine, and finer sand paper, some compound, and a plastic re clear. took me about half an hour for both headlights and it worked amazing, i was skeptical but surprised at how good the outcome was

honda_dude

Reaction score
cheapest way?! lol

i wanna clean my headlight b4 i install my HIDs. woot woot

001Stunna

Reaction score
Just did this on 6 lenses in past 2 days lol.
Wetsand 800-1000-1500-2000
Bought a $20 6" buffer and used it for polishing with metal polish and lastly plastx.
Results were good enough to lickkkkk :)
Returned the buffer 1 day later as by the end of the 6th lenses i managed to overheat it lolzzz

Do checkout the diy on top though.

markmark1

Reaction score
before careful I used turtle wax restoration stuff and im not sure if it was there before or not but I have small scratches on my lens :\

they look better though

talontsiawd

Reaction score
If they arn't bad, and are not scratched, just use plastic polish or my favorite, aluminum polish. Wetsanding makes things easier but you can put small scratches in too.

Back