Cleaning Headlight Lens

99HonAccord

Reaction score
I did the 3M restore kit on my 99 6gen and I was shocked on how good my headlights came out.I bought the 3M lens restore kit at Walmart it was only 20 bucks 3M has a video on youtube how to do it. Its not hard whats so ever just follow the instructions

blackcord

Reaction score
When ever you sand down your headlight lens, you are removing the uv protection coating. It will look good for a while, but after a while, it will dull up and turn yellow again. You gotta keep waxing frequently to slow the process.

OR see this thread here where this dude put UV Sealer-Helmsman Spar Urethane and his held up for over a year. Really worth a try.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...dlight-restoration-new-uv-sealant-idea-6.html

tjmckinney

Reaction score
I used the turtle stuff too and got scratches on both headlights. They were not there before either. You cant see them unless your up on them.

They do look a little better but, I think im going to give the 3m a try

tjmckinney

Reaction score
I used the turtle stuff too and got scratches on both headlights. They were not there before either. You cant see them unless your up on them.

They do look a little better but, I think im going to give the 3m a try

001Stunna

Reaction score
For you guys actually sanding the headlights...to avoid fine scratches or marks left over make sure you do

-600grit-sand horizontally
-800grit-sand vertically(until you see no more horizontal scratches)
-wet sand 1000grit-sand horizontally(until you see no more vertical sratches)
-wet sand 1500grit-sand vertically(until you see no more horizontal scratches)
-wet sand 2000grit-sand horizontally(until you see no more vertical sratches)
-wet sand 2500-3000grit-sand vertically(until you see no more horizontal scratches)
-polish in both directions and check again. I've done the above to about 5-6 pairs of headlights in the past 4 months and all have turned pretty much perfect with no issues.
-Wash them with soap/dish detergent
-Dry and apply some wax

As for them turning yellow soon after, it hasn't happend to any of the ones i've done yet, as long as you keep them clean.

I've done the above with the 3M set as well, and if you just use the rotary you'll still get some fine scratches in the end, more like fine circles...make sure you go over them by hand as well in opposite directions everytime.

Last edited:
Back