CV axle boot broken!! Grease everywhere!! :0

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
It will take years of water and dirt to seize them up. You can just pack some grease in them once and year and they will probably last a while longer. I was broke and used to pack grease in my wifes cv axle boots and they lasted 30,000 miles until they started making noise.

synchromash

Reaction score
I'm at the point of needing to do an axel and am curious if anyone knows if it is possible to do without separating either upper/lower ball joint (contrary to the Haynes manual). Don't have the tools handy to free the knuckle up and would like to just lift the car, remove the nut, push & pry the old one out and reverse the new one in.

Will this damage the joint if it bottoms out during install? Is it safe enough to make it short enough to replace with the knuckle attached to upper & lower bj and to tie-rod end?

Links 2 thread w/ ALL teh anzerz?

I can pull the ones on my S13 without freeing the knuckle but that's because the diff-end of the shaft has a LOVELY external 6-bolt flange.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^Ball joint separator (for LBJ), free to rent at Autozone. Why make it harder than it has to be.

Last edited:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Pull strut
Pull uca at frame mount

Worked good on 4g civics, now I have an air hammer, lol.
(Then I got a energy suspension kit that didn't wrap around the strut!)

Honda axle - 200, axle labor - 100, total - 300
Honda cv boot - 100, cv boot labor -200, total - 300

Somethin fishy here!

Nah, if mine (ever) needs some, I'll prob go j/y or boot cause I want a manual trans!

Last edited:
Back