Speedometer Acting up Help appriciated!!

xJx

Reaction score
Once again I have come upon another issue that I would hope to get some in-site from you all.

I recently painted my gauge needles and I made sure to be careful cause I know the needles are sensitive.

All my Gauges work fine but now my speedometer does not want to work right away. It stays at 0 until maybe after 20-40mph it will come up to speed.

I also noticed that it sometimes take longer to finally shoot up but once I go over a bump or something it kicks in.

I dont want to have to replace the whole cluster and loose my mileage but is there a way I can just replace the speedometer portion? If so how would I go about doing so. I've searched around the forum and google but couldn't find a good DIY for our cars.

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks all!

Varnell

Reaction score
I've had similar issues with my cluster. It's usually the result of a bad ground or not being put back properly. Make sure the screws are tight. I left one loose and my needles would do all sorts of crazy things.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Check to make sure the needle isn't inserted too far. It is also possible that the needle winded down when you took it out, rotating too many times one way or the other.

Worst case, you can swap the computer board to a new cluster to keep your mileage. A couple members here have done that.

xJx

Reaction score
Thanks for your input guys. I forgot to mention I did not remove the needles off the gauge. I did the note card underneath method.

Could it be possible that the little pressure used to paint the needle would cause it to be pushed down to far? I don't want to attempt to lift the needle up off of the base a little in case that could cause the issue. But I may just give it a try fingers crossed a little lift will cure it!

Back