98 LX with loud clunking noise over any imperfection in road

Fusionreactives

Reaction score
Capsid, I did check what you suggested and everything looks in order. I honestly don't have a clue. I thought I was familiar with this car but it just seems like I'm looking for a needle in a hay stack. When i jump up and down on the driver side door sill, I can emulate the clunking. I do not hear it when jumping up and down on the passenger door sill.

I took my camera and took a video of the central undercarriage area of the car while jumping on the sill. I don't see anything out of place. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

https://youtu.be/TluUSPEjmZY

capsidx

Reaction score
That REALLY sounds like a suspension problem lol. It sounds like either the mounts are bad and the coil is touching every time it uncompresses. it seems like something is making contact with part of the chassis and is compressed because it knocks in a downward motion but it gets relieved when the suspension has less pressure is if that makes sense. I'm tired AF and grammar has gone out the window lol. Check the coils and make sure they're not sheared anywhere. My friends car did the same thing and ade the same noise. Of course his car rode like a box of gravy.

Fusionreactives

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the help. You were right on the money with the suspension. The other day, I went over every nut and bolt with my torque wrench to make sure nothing was loose.

Today, I took a 3 foot piece of pipe and started prying on any and everything

Turns out my sway bar would clunk on the passenger side. I narrowed it down to the nut holding the link to the LCA. It was a 1/4 turn loose!

I guess its time for a new torque wrench.:shrug:

Again, thanks for all the help!!

capsidx

Reaction score
No problem, glad we could help :). Sometimes suspension problems are the worst because they're the hardest to emulate on a parked car. Especially those noises that happen intermittently and are just annoying and terrifying lol

hchanrn

Reaction score
I have had the bolts on the radius rod loosen up after changing the bushing. Made clunking noise every time I hit a bump. Tighten up the nut and noise went away.

Back