Car died while driving. Now won't start

Nashvegasmatt

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I haven't been on in a while so it made me re-register. Anyway. I've got a 2000 v6 model and while I was driving home yesterday I went to throttle to pass someone and poof it died. All electronics stayed on and I coasted as far as I could. There was no bang, pop, or loud sound. Just a "ploof" and dead. So once I pulled over I attempted to turn it back over.
It is making a whirling sound. Almost as if the starter isn't making contact. I'm pretty confident it's not actually cranking/rotating at all. I was originally thinking ignition switch, but when that went bad last year the motor still rotated when I attempted to start. Would a bad starter cause the car to stop running? It seems like more than a coincidence that it died when I gave it some gas. Any other suggestions on where to start looking? Can post videos tomorrow if that'll help.

Nashvegasmatt

Reaction score
So I went back out this morning and took a video of the motor while I was cranking it and I was able to see the water pump rotate with the belt intact in an attempt to start. So what can I deduct from knowing this?

thurman.

Reaction score
There was a recall a long while ago on the ignition coil recall. I would look at replacing it. Watch some YouTube videos. Easy DIY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris S

Reaction score
Could be your distributor. Could be your fuel pump. Watch Scotty Kilmer's YouTube video "Fixing a Honda that died on the road" and "How to tell if your fuel pump is bad"

Back