DIY: USB port in console

Alpha_Onion

Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: I do not recommend attempting this DIY unless you have at least a basic knowledge of wiring and soldering. I am not responsible for any damage to you or your vehicle.

Listen up, class. Today we’re going to learn how to install a USB phone charging port in our 6th Gen Accords. It goes right below the 12V socket. This works on both sedans and coupes, and can be applied to almost any other car for that matter. Here are the tools you’ll need:

Panel-mount USB port (female)
12-volt car charger
Dremel with cutting wheel attachment
Soldering Iron and solder
Wire
Wire cutters/strippers
Small needle-nose pliers
Drill
Small metal file
Sharpie
Medium Phillips screwdriver
Dull flathead
Hot glue gun

Step 1: Disassembly
Start by disconnecting the battery and engaging the emergency brake. Open your cupholder and pull upwards on it from both sides, it should pop right out. Then pull upwards from both sides on the shifter trim ring, get that outta here. Now pull upwards on the entire console trim, starting from the back and working your way forward; this is held in by clips as well. Feed it over the brake handle and shifter, toss it:

IMAG0549_zpsicvtxy5v.jpg

Remove the plate between the radio bezel and the bottom tray. Use a flathead to pry it outwards towards you on all four corners:

IMAG0550_zpsjcbonrzt.jpg

Now remove the two screws holding the bottom tray in, followed by the bottom tray itself, unplugging the 12V socket (you will have to put the car all the way in first gear to make room to get the tray out).
By now, you should be left with this:

IMAG0524_zps3dxlgxly.jpg

Step 2: Mounting the port
Remove the 12V socket by unscrewing the outer shell. On the backside of the tray, underneath the hole you just left (you dirty vandal), there’s a plastic vertical spine. Grind that down and grab a flash drive. Trace the outline of the USB plug onto the very center of this open space you’ve created. Then grab your drill and drill out three holes in the rectangle. Here’s how it should look so far:

IMAG0526_zps7q1cvmpc.jpg

Get aggressive with that drill bit and bore out the holes into the shape of that rectangle. Use your small metal file to shape it the rest of the way, going just a little bit at a time and trying to make the most perfect rectangle you can:

IMAG0528_zpsnsbn39c4.jpg

Keep going until you can fit your flash drive into the hole, and all edges of the hole fit snugly (Giggity):

IMAG0534_zpsajqndhlj.jpg

Now you can actually mount the port. You can use any one you like, but the one I used is from Adafruit.com and cost me about $4 plus shipping:

IMAG0533_zpsaphsyok9.jpg

Keep your flash drive through the hole and plug your port in on the other side. Use a small drill bit to drill through the screwholes, then bore those out with a larger bit that’s just barely big enough for the screws. I recommend a 5/64 followed by a 7/64. Secure your port to the tray, like so:

IMAG0535_zpsdj9vrilw.jpg

Now you need to strip the cable down. Cut it in half (you’ll have to cut more off when you solder it to the transformer), then strip off the outer sheathing. Cut away the metal on the outside, then snip the green and white wires. Leave nothing but the red and black wires, and do this all the way down to the base:

IMAG0541_zpsjtdlv24p.jpg

Step 3: Making the transformer
Since you're going to all the trouble to do this, you might as well use a genuine HTC, Samsung, Apple, or otherwise high-quality car charger for best results. Take your 12V car charger:

IMAG0538_zpsor7ecmbx.jpg

And pry off the outer shell and you’ll have the guts. This will differ greatly depending on what charger you use, but mine looked like this:

IMAG0539_zpsemklkoyw.jpg

Wire the transformer to your 12V socket, positive to positive and negative to negative. You probably should reinstall the socket before doing this:

IMAG0540_zpszsmzbudo.jpg

Now screw the socket back into the tray and connect the wires from the USB port to the other side of the transformer, like so:

IMAG0543_zpstvltbbgm.jpg

I used hot glue to secure the transformer to the tray, as well as prevent any short-circuits:

IMAG0544_zps4twz59av.jpg

We’re almost done. Unfortunately, there’s no open space underneath the tray for the back of the USB port to fit. Here’s the piece you need to cut out:

IMAG0545_zps1fgsmhjx.jpg

And here it is ready to go:

IMAG0546_zpsutfn7apl.jpg

All you gotta do now is reassemble everything in reverse order, and you got yourself one badass phone charger!

IMAG0547_zpswkciqmvu.jpg

Alternatively, you could just leave the male USB on the other end and plug it directly into the back of your radio if you want power AND data (the phone will charge slower this way though).

Last edited:

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
nice write up and pretty good execution :thumbup: added to the master list...don't delete your pictures! haha.

Last edited:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Nice work! It looks factory.

Maybe I should get some pics of mine.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Good write-up, thanks for contributing. I would consider painting the screw heads black to help them blend in more.

Alpha_Onion

Reaction score
Good write-up, thanks for contributing. I would consider painting the screw heads black to help them blend in more.

I thought the same thing, OCD wins again lol. Since then I've gone to Home Depot and picked up some black screws.

Bax

Reaction score
Pop rivets would look a lot cleaner.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Not very good, I know! I'll clean it, sometime!

Just to show one of my hacks. I added another cig lighter socket under the console. I put one of those usb adapters in it, that has 2 usb outlets. In the front it has a usb micro cable, run out a gap in storage space panels, for my phone. The rear runs a usb extension into the armrest, so I can plug in whatever I want. Right now it connects to a usb mini so it can charge my camera. The cig lighter socket is hooked (in parallel) with the stock lighter socket, they are only on with ignition.

12184106_10100880780216899_7976953133992136412_o.jpg

12186618_10100880780271789_6835474631223024663_o.jpg

Last edited:
Back