g23 vtec swap

jaron001

Reaction score
ok so after alot of thought today ive decided i wanted to start looking into preforming this swap on my new baby she deserves it lol

but from all the information ive gathered if i use the f23 pistons i will end up with 8.8:1 compression and if i use the k20 i will have 11.5:1. i dont think id boost it but sometimes we all get that itch to do something to our cars so i dont want to have an high compression such as 11.5:1 if i change my mind.

so what i was thinking was if i get the k20 pistons in the aftermarket low compression that should give me around 10 or 9.5:1.i can squeeze a little more hp if i bore 1mm to 87mm i wont touch the f rods they are beefy already and the block has ductile iron sleeves. also if i decide 100% that i want to pull this off and im about 80% now i will cam it and do some other mild head work TB IM etc

in theory this should work but in real world tolerances and clearances come into play

what do you guys think

i have all the funds but i need to get on the ball

nyknick1015

Reaction score
well here's the thing.... MOST people usually go with the g23 swap because they hear its REALLY GOOD for boost. a good percentage of these people DONT end up boosting because of funds after doing the swap and then they get bummed out because the power output after the headswap wasn't what they expected. Mainly because they left the low compression pistons and running a DOHC head with a lower compression than what even honda out the factory wouldn't recommend on performance for a DOHC head.

if u want the power output of a NA h22, u either gotta get h22 or k20 pistons that go for a higher compression, if u boost, stay with the f22/23 pistons. you can boost after with the h22 or k20 pistons later on, ur just gonna have less room for error when you do. low compression engines allow more room for error especially with boost and high compression allow efficency, but also requires perfection... start small...

matter fact... FINISH THE 5G B4 U DO ANYTHING ELSE... lol

Last edited:

AFAccord

Reaction score
i dont think id boost it but sometimes we all get that itch to do something to our cars so i dont want to have an high compression such as 11.5:1 if i change my mind.

I strongly suggest you decide what you want to do BEFORE starting this build. If you have lower compression, you will HAVE to boost to notice any power. If you have higher compression, you better go all out, because boosting will be out of the question.

so what i was thinking was if i get the k20 pistons in the aftermarket low compression that should give me around 10 or 9.5:1.i can squeeze a little more hp if i bore 1mm to 87mm

Aftermarket 9.0:1 K20 pistons with an H22 head, F23 block and F23 rods will give you ~9.6cr. If you bore it to 87mm, compression will go up to ~9.77cr.

i wont touch the f rods they are beefy already and the block has ductile iron sleeves.

F23 rods are puny in comparison to other OE Honda rods. You must have read something wrong. OE F23 ringlands and rods are the weakest links on an F23 bottom end. Personally, if I were boosting, my money would go to replacing the weak rods and pistons before ever spending a dime on the head.

in theory this should work but in real world tolerances and clearances come into play

With -8cc dish on the pistons, clearances won't be an issue. Just make sure who ever builds the block checks the bearings for correct clearance.

what do you guys think

The G23 VTEC build is biased towards NA because of the opportunity to mix high compression pistons and large stroke with a great flowing head that can breathe up high. It requires more parts of higher quality (and higher cost) to make the build worth completing.

The G23 Non-VTEC build is biased towards boost because it provides a better flowing head, and more options for aftermarket cams, without as many costly parts. Also, the head is better suited to the RPM range of the stock F23 bottom end. Cam profiles for an H22 will not be efficient at the lower RPMs that you can safely spin an F23 bottom end. By the time you reach VTEC, you're almost at redline.

Just my .02 cents.

-Jason

jaron001

Reaction score
sorry bout the f rods i really didnt look into them since i was under the impression that they were pretty similar to the f22... but damn only rods ive ran across are BC for $700:computer:

jaron001

Reaction score
lmaooo u guys are cool very helpful! thanx for all that info.

im very reasonable with the foreseen numbers id like to achieve im not tryin to put down 400hp id like something in the 220whp range ill be happy with that :driving:

Back