Horrible rear end squeak/creak/ Help!

pdub3rd

Reaction score
Basically anytime my car is moving there is a squeak/creaking sound coming from the rear. If you push down on the back corners it can be heard. Cold weather definitely makes it worse and if I've lubed everything and think I resolved it, as soon as I wash the car it comes back.

Here's a video taken from phone going 5mph.
https://youtu.be/i62DWWVayCM
https://youtu.be/i62DWWVayCM

Hope one of those works. Not knowing better a couple years ago I installed some coilovers made by EMUSA. About $500. I read that they were basically the same as Meghan Racing coilovers. I've remounted, tightened, lubed and so forth to no end. I've replaced the rear sway bar bushings also.

When I first got the coilovers one of the rear strut mount bolts broke off and I got a replacement. I hate to think that they are blown already and I'd hate to buy new suspension and still have the noise. I can deal with a little noise but this is loud and embarrassing.

Please help and please don't be too harsh. The original suspension was played out and I bought what I could afford at the time.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Sounds like you got a gerbil in there. Have you inspected the other bushings, etc at the rear? Is it worse/louder over bumps/dips in the road? Or is it a constant sound while driving no matter what?

pdub3rd

Reaction score
The other bushings just look old. Don't see any glaring defects or cracks. I finally bought a grease gun needle tip and injected the 2 upper arm bushings that were deflated but sealed. And I forgot to mention that both the rear endlinks are new and greased.

It kind of has a mind of it's own like a gerbil. Sometimes it'll be making noise and a good bump will make it stop for a while. It's more of a constant sound with intermittent breaks. At its worst I can start to let off the brakes and then abruptly hit them after moving inches and it makes the sound.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I hate when sounds are random. Hmm you could try inspecting the top hats. That rubber can get old as well. I had a problem with squeaking top hats in the front, but that's because they were new. After a while it stopped.

Could also be the company that made your suspension used a cheap bushing for the rear strut foot bolt.

pdub3rd

Reaction score
I've been suspecting the top hat rubber bushings but actually not sure if this is what you meant but at the very bottom of the coilover assembly, where it bolts onto the knuckle. The strut bolt sometimes slides on the rubber off center and I have to hit it with a rubber mallet to get it centered. I wonder if the sound I'm hearing is the slow progression of it sliding. I probably butchered the terminology all to hell.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
So if I'm understand you correctly, the bushing is moving around inside the metal part in which it is housed? If so...I'd get a new bushing pressed in and see where that gets you.

pdub3rd

Reaction score
Maybe? At the bottom piece of the coilover where the bottom shock bolt connects it to the hub. I guess so. It's got a metal tube with rubber on the outside and the shock foot is mounted on it. I didn't know that could be replaced. Would it be hard to replace myself?

I emailed the manufacturer with a link to my video. Asked if they would sell me a couple rear assemblies. Haven't heard back yet. If they won't I'll definitely be replacing the whole set with a better brand. But if I could get the rears only for now it would help.

Back