What is this thing and what does it do?

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Accord EX MT and I noticed it has this vacuum tank between the intake manifold and the cruise control doohickey.

As you can see it broke. So I hooked the two hoses together to bypass it and the cruise control works fine. I also noticed this is not on my 98 Accord. So what does it actually do?

Sino

Reaction score
I'd have to assume it just keeps vacuum stored so that your cruise works and works smoothly even if you're in a situation where the engine's not producing much vacuum. Should be an easy junkyard find if you encounter any issues in the future.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
What is the "black box" that is attached to the bracket I'm holding? It is bolted to the driver side strut tower in the back near the firewall. There is one helluva greasy plug with a few wires coming out of the bottom...

temporary_112.jpg

Last edited:

SupraGuy

Reaction score
Lol. Unplug it and see what doesn't work? (KIDDING, THIS IS A BAD IDEA.)

To help identify it.

How many wires is "a few"?

I've been meaning to take a look at my car for a couple of days to see if I have it, and what it may be.

Is that the brake booster in the background of the shot? Is the car automatic or manual? (Is that a clutch master on the right?)

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
almost looks like a relay

It does look like a relay.. And where do the wires lead? Dealer Micro-Fische time I think.

Agree, I'll take a closer look and trace the wires.

Lol. Unplug it and see what doesn't work? (KIDDING, THIS IS A BAD IDEA.)

To help identify it.

How many wires is "a few"?

I've been meaning to take a look at my car for a couple of days to see if I have it, and what it may be.

Is that the brake booster in the background of the shot? Is the car automatic or manual? (Is that a clutch master on the right?)

Well my motor exploded, thanks a lot. hah I'll see how many.

Yes brake booster is visible at left. The car is manual (swapped) and yes good eye the master cylinder is stuffed down in there.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What is the "black box" that is attached to the bracket I'm holding? It is bolted to the driver side strut tower in the back near the firewall. There is one helluva greasy plug with a few wires coming out of the bottom...

temporary_112.jpg

Here you go - 39793-SV4-003

RELAY ASSY., POWER (5P) (MITSUBA) (WIPER RELAY)

How'd you pop your motor?

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^Ahh nice, thanks. Now the only mystery left is why the connector is covered in grease haha.

Oh I was kidding, pretending I had taken Supraguy's advice and unplugged it while driving the car.

Back