Maintenance Question--- Spark plugs

capsidx

Reaction score
I always used NGK Iridium because I believe that if you have the money to get the most quality part at the time and dont mind spending it, do it. For piece of mind mostly. I always use ngk iridium and have never had any issues. My F23 felt a little peppier when I used them but my old plugs were.... well, old. I used them in my H23 and I still use them in my f20b. Thats just my opinion on things anyway. Seals and gaskets for me are ALWAYS OEM. Suspension and stuff is usually Moog. I always try to use brand name parts.

datechboss101

Reaction score
I always used NGK Iridium because I believe that if you have the money to get the most quality part at the time and dont mind spending it, do it. For piece of mind mostly. I always use ngk iridium and have never had any issues. My F23 felt a little peppier when I used them but my old plugs were.... well, old. I used them in my H23 and I still use them in my f20b. Thats just my opinion on things anyway. Seals and gaskets for me are ALWAYS OEM. Suspension and stuff is usually Moog. I always try to use brand name parts.

My F23 is actually running great and a bit peppier too with the Iridium plugs, as I do tend to get the good quality things for my car (need to get myself some OEM Honda PSF and Honda Coolant).

capsidx

Reaction score
My F23 is actually running great and a bit peppier too with the Iridium plugs, as I do tend to get the good quality things for my car (need to get myself some OEM Honda PSF and Honda Coolant).

Power steering fluid is MEH and coolant, you should be fine with prestone. Thats what I use. I'm sure most people on here use it too. As long as its from a reputable brand.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Power steering fluid is MEH and coolant, you should be fine with prestone. Thats what I use. I'm sure most people on here use it too. As long as its from a reputable brand.

The Honda PSF is actually worth using, due to it having some extra ingredients in it that help it run quiet, and lubricate the rack better. Yes, I've tried other brands before, and the Honda stuff definitely quieted the pump, and made a difference in how smooth the rack turned.
As for coolant, I use the green stuff (Prestone, Zerex, and other brand names), as it's worked in other vehicles all these years.
Same applies with brake fluid. I use whatever DoT3 or DoT4 I happen to grab. It's made to a spec, and can be used in all models that aren't DoT5 equipped.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
I don't use iridium for the possibility of better performance. But more for the longer life and only changing them out every 100k rather than 30k.

Why not use a better plug that lasts almost 4 times as long. It's like saying why use synthetic when the manual calls for Dino oil. It's better and I wanna use it and it's my money.

datechboss101

Reaction score
Cant beat saving money either plug wont do any harm so rock what you got. As far as plug wires this is case by case ive seen some cars still with factory wires (im talking about from 93-98ish) they have no issues whats so ever. Me i wont risk especially since wires are not that expensive as they use to be. I do mine every other plug change so at least every 60k. If u dont know when it was done inspect each wire for cracks or signs of carbon on the boot and inside it. If none found you should be okay but like i said its cheap preventive maintenance so not bad idea to replace.

I just checked the spark plugs this afternoon and I don't see any cracks or any carbon build up, unless the brown stuff I saw is the carbon build up...

I don't use iridium for the possibility of better performance. But more for the longer life and only changing them out every 100k rather than 30k.

Why not use a better plug that lasts almost 4 times as long. It's like saying why use synthetic when the manual calls for Dino oil. It's better and I wanna use it and it's my money.

My use of Iridium is that I don't have to go out and change the plugs every 30k, but instead I change them every 100k.

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
If its brown ring thats normal, if its wax like substance thats just the stuff from autozone they have at the counter for plugs. If nothing seems abnormal i wouldnt change them unless for piece of mine. I forgot to mention i have a f23 so changing plugs are a cake walk compared to the j series those i would use iridium and only change the plugs if they need.

datechboss101

Reaction score
If its brown ring thats normal, if its wax like substance thats just the stuff from autozone they have at the counter for plugs. If nothing seems abnormal i wouldnt change them unless for piece of mine. I forgot to mention i have a f23 so changing plugs are a cake walk compared to the j series those i would use iridium and only change the plugs if they need.

Yeah, it was a piece of cake for me too when I did mine. If I had the J30, then I would been changing them @ 30k-50k mile interval, due to the PITA parts that the 3 plugs out of 6 are location.

Student005

Reaction score
True, but the price I saved was tremendous considering dealer was asking roughly $200 for the job. Also, when should I change the spark plug wires (not stated in the FSM and OM at all)? I have no clue nor idea when those were also changed.

I had an intermittent misfire in the morning after I changed my valve cover gasket that I was hunting down for months. Turned out to be my old plug wires. Picked up NGK wires for LESS than the Duralast at Vatozone for my F23A. Considering the NGKs cost less than the in-house brand I wish I’d done it sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Student005

Reaction score
ALSO, the NGKs have a lifetime warranty there so you can swap them out free of charge when you change your plugs. [emoji1591]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back