Do you steal from junkyards?

• Yes, any time I can, it's not wrong

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I don't think people should be stealing major stuff, as auto enthusiasts we're lucky to have places like this to get OEM parts for cheap. It's always a few idiots who ruin a good thing for everyone else, the same thing could happen with junkyards. There's not that many around, and some have dumb rules like not letting you pick your own parts as a result of idiotic people....we shouldn't be taking advantage of these places. They're a good thing.

That's not to say pocketing a few bulbs or clips is taboo. I tried to pay for a handful of those once, and they just waved me through without paying. So now I don't really bother, the yard I go to charges $2 every time I walk in anyway.

Last edited:

schmiddr2

Reaction score
That's not exactly in the poll I guess, but I agree. They never charge me for bolts or bulbs or for anything of such little value. If you know them and they never charge for them, then packing them up with your stuff as you leave is not quite stealing. I'd say this is "No" in the poll.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Yeah I mean they are running a business, and they have to pay to keep it going, inventory cars, move them around, etc. It’s not like we both found random cars sitting in a field and they’re up for grabs. Junk yards aren’t completely unlike any other retail environment, really. Same sort of principles apply.

This reminds me there is a cop stationed near the checkout counter at the yard I go to. That's gotta rank lower than traffic cop. :lawl:

bagoon316

Reaction score
I think Junkyards are in it for the big dollar parts as it is. They could careless if you pocket a few small sensors, gas cap, nuts/bolts, and what not.

They pay 100-150 for a car, and make it back the first 3 body parts they sell, plus the price of brakes, knuckles, wheels, seats, etc.

The big yard in my area (LKQ) charges $2 for a "door charge", so of course I am going to take a few small sensors, or plugs.

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
If you can get out with it without being seen. Then it's whatever. So it'd have to be a low ticket item anyways.

No way you're getting out with a seat or head or something that large

305S0L

Reaction score
I normally wouldn't walk out with anything major without paying.
But If I happen to find OEM wood trim in my local yard.... :secret:

cjsaccord

Reaction score
I tried to pay for a handful of those once, and they just waved me through without paying. So now I don't really bother, the yard I go to charges $2 every time I walk in anyway.

^^^This,

I used to always pocket the little stuff like headlight caps,engine bay plugs,etc.. a few years ago but one time I decided to just pay for it and I got waved on with a dumb look. But for bigger things with value that you had to actually take the time to unbolt is a must to pay for.

I just hate when they overcharge for a used item.:yourself:

schmiddr2

Reaction score
I know the thread is not old, but it seems there are no people willing to admit to taking what they can.

Also, it seems the honor system excludes low value items and what will fit in a pocket. lol

BTW, I don't work at a junkyard or anything. I was just reading a thread earlier about how there are "free" parts at junkyards.

Back