Swapped ecus need help with immo

Eliog151

Reaction score
I have a 98 accord sedan v6, ive had issues with the car misfiring and running like crap, after spending several hundreds a friend of mine told me the ecu is bad, the car has a cel that wont go away, anyways i just bought another ecu online, now i know the numbers have to match and they do, the problem is it wont start because of the immobolizer, i know it should be taken to the dealer but i also know it can be done different ways, i called a locksmith explained the problem and he said he could it, i explained to him and correct me if im wrong that the ecu is programmed with vin corresponding to the key point this locksmith never showed and its always busy somehow, gave up on that, i called an ecu repair guy and told him to swap out the eeprom chip for the immo from my ecu to one i bought, just picked it up tonight and car starts with my original ecu but not with the one i bought so there goes another 100, now im planning on calling the guu back i just wanted to know if anyone has any tips or pics of the ecu to show where the chip is and ill do it myself, its just when i opened the ecu it looks like the board is stuck to the metal i plan on checking it tomorrow again and will take pics thanks in advance.

james'99

Reaction score
Sounds like the guy transferred the wrong chip. Do you have access to the key of the car your ECU came from? If you do, you will be able to take it to a key guy and they will be able to gain access to the immobilizer to reprogram it to your key. If you get that key, you can hold it next to your key while starting the car and it will start.

Eliog151

Reaction score
Sounds like the guy transferred the wrong chip. Do you have access to the key of the car your ECU came from? If you do, you will be able to take it to a key guy and they will be able to gain access to the immobilizer to reprogram it to your key. If you get that key, you can hold it next to your key while starting the car and it will start.
Unfortunately no, i bought the ecu from a junkyard on ebay and it didn't come eith a key, ive thought about putting the immo bypass box thing they sell, for like when they remote start but i just rather keep it how it should be

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

james'99

Reaction score
Unfortunately no, i bought the ecu from a junkyard on ebay and it didn't come eith a key, ive thought about putting the immo bypass box thing they sell, for like when they remote start but i just rather keep it how it should be

I would reach out to the ebay company and see if they have the key. That would make your life a lot easier.

Eliog151

Reaction score
I would reach out to the ebay company and see if they have the key. That would make your life a lot easier.
Ill try that today, hopefully they can help, its hard to find a matching ecu

Back