UPDATED: Evan's Quest for a J32 6MT 6GA

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
Re: UPDATED with Wiring Issues: Evan's Quest for a J32 6MT 6GA

Oh, I meant for the transmission block where it's attached to the side of the engine haha, b/c mine's so old 'n nasty now lol

wishing you the best of luck in completing your quest!

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score

So I pulled the code and it's for the crankshaft position sensor, which is behind the timing covers and the crankshaft pulley. Get all that off, while the motor is in the car, and it's a brand new sensor, manual pulley, timing belt, etc. All new Honda parts. Still having the same issue. So I've heard about resetting the ECU to learn the new sensor. So I'm gonna try that and make sure it's not off time by checking that as well. Other than that, I've also been told there is a sensor that goes near the flywheel on the CL Type S transmission, and since I have the Accord one, I don't have that. Hopefully I don't need it, but that might the issue as well. Any info anyone has I would really appreciate. Code is a P0335

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score

Worked on the car to try to figure out the issues. Started by taking all the timing covers off, then the crank sensor. Tested the sensor and the wiring harness to the sensor, and they are both fine. Did find a bit of dirt in there, so cleaned that up. Also I had been told that the auto and manual front cam gear is different. When I looked at them last time, they looked identical. I decided to pull it off to see if it really was different, and it was. The auto one has lobes that the cam sensor reads that are sharpish and not very wide, whereas the manual one has bigger surface areas on these lobes, so it can get a better reading. But everything back in time, (all while in the car, fun times) and will test the car tomorrow or Friday and see if that fixes my issues. If this doesn't work, next step is TPS and then if that doesnt work, looks like I will need a standalone.*

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score

Updated first page with better breakdown of parts and reasons I used them. Will have to update again as soon as I figure out the part numbers and the rest of the stuff I used.

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score

Figured I go ahead and update this because of the lack of posts:

First off, it still doesn't rev over 2,000. So bummer there.

Took the crankshaft pulley off, timing covers, belt and front cam gear off. Replaced the front cam gear with the manual gear.
--The manual gear has different peaks on the gear for the sensor to read. They are more flat and wider, whereas the auto is almost pointed.
Tested the crankshaft position sensor under the timing covers, that reads fine. Put all the covers back on and put the motor back in time. (Fun process while in the car)

So as I was reading through a lot of swap posts and CL-S threads, I found out the J32a2 with the CL-S uses 2 crankshaft position sensors. One under the timing covers and one that reads the flywheel on the back of the transmission. Since I have the Accord transmission, I do not have this. But there is a threaded hole on the front of the Accord transmission that looks like this sensor would fit in there. So gonna try that out and see if anything works for this. The sensor may just need to read voltage, and it might throw it up into limp mode for a 5 grand rev limit. Or it might completely fix it. If that doesnt do anything, I'll try the sensor hole on the front of the trans and extend the wires and see if that works.
Worst case scenario and last result before either getting a standalone or Richie's harness, is to drill into the Accord trans where the CL-S sensor goes and see if that works. I've got detailed pictures of that, so that is a possibility. It goes into the bell housing, so no fluid loss.

So naturally you need to order the sensor. I tried every auto parts store in my area (AutoZone, NAPA, O'Reilly's, Advance, and a few others) and no had had it. Shocker there. All they had was the auto harness for under the timing covers. So I ordered one for OEMAcura. It's been 14 days and it still hasn't shipped. Called them and the sensor is currently being made in Japan, then being shipped over. So they estimated I should have it in a week to 10 days. I just want to drive the car. Just once before the salt goes on the roads.

Things I figured out during this adventure:
If using a J37 IM with the P2R adapter for the J32a2 throttle body, you have to use both of their thermal gaskets that they supply. It gives it just enough room for the throttle actuator to clear it while on the throttle. If you don't it grabs it and holds it, causing it to bounce idle around 2 grand. I had that issue while looking for vacuum leaks. Also there is a long bolt with a hex that comes with it, but is too long and will not seal properly (at least for me). Luckily, I had some extra intake manifold bolts (J32a3) laying around and one of them worked great.

Last edited:

TurboAccord99

Reaction score

Figured I go ahead and update this because of the lack of posts:

First off, it still doesn't rev over 2,000. So bummer there.

Took the crankshaft pulley off, timing covers, belt and front cam gear off. Replaced the front cam gear with the manual gear.
--The manual gear has different peaks on the gear for the sensor to read. They are more flat and wider, whereas the auto is almost pointed.
Tested the crankshaft position sensor under the timing covers, that reads fine. Put all the covers back on and put the motor back in time. (Fun process while in the car)

So as I was reading through a lot of swap posts and CL-S threads, I found out the J32a2 with the CL-S uses 2 crankshaft position sensors. One under the timing covers and one that reads the flywheel on the back of the transmission. Since I have the Accord transmission, I do not have this. But there is a threaded hole on the front of the Accord transmission that looks like this sensor would fit in there. So gonna try that out and see if anything works for this. The sensor may just need to read voltage, and it might throw it up into limp mode for a 5 grand rev limit. Or it might completely fix it. If that doesnt do anything, I'll try the sensor hole on the front of the trans and extend the wires and see if that works.
Worst case scenario and last result before either getting a standalone or Richie's harness, is to drill into the Accord trans where the CL-S sensor goes and see if that works. I've got detailed pictures of that, so that is a possibility. It goes into the bell housing, so no fluid loss.

So naturally you need to order the sensor. I tried every auto parts store in my area (AutoZone, NAPA, O'Reilly's, Advance, and a few others) and no had had it. Shocker there. All they had was the auto harness for under the timing covers. So I ordered one for OEMAcura. It's been 14 days and it still hasn't shipped. Called them and the sensor is currently being made in Japan, then being shipped over. So they estimated I should have it in a week to 10 days. I just want to drive the car. Just once before the salt goes on the roads.

Things I figured out during this adventure:
If using a J37 IM with the P2R adapter for the J32a2 throttle body, you have to use both of their thermal gaskets that they supply. It gives it just enough room for the throttle actuator to clear it while on the throttle. If you don't it grabs it and holds it, causing it to bounce idle around 2 grand. I had that issue while looking for vacuum leaks. Also there is a long bolt with a hex that comes with it, but is too long and will not seal properly (at least for me). Luckily, I had some extra intake manifold bolts (J32a3) laying around and one of them worked great.

Sorry to hear about all the issues, hope they get worked out.

Last edited:

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score

Sorry to hear about all the issues, hope they get worked out.

Thanks man. How is yours going?

Also, I still can't temp to read on the cluster. Anyone have any help here. #14 wire from the CL Plug to the cluster on the temp wire there is what I have.

FNCONE

Reaction score

With the car off, preferably no battery connected, check for continuity between E14 CL and C2 Accord Cluster which is a yellow green cable on the accord. Since your car is a 99 model the ecu did not send the signal to the cluster. Now that you have the CL engine and CL ecu we have to make sure your getting the signal into the cluster. Let me know if that helps if not we will continue troubleshooting.

FNCONE

Reaction score

But i have read the 98-99 accords use a different signal, you might need an 00 -02 cluster. We have to see and find out.

TurboAccord99

Reaction score

Thanks man. How is yours going?

Also, I still can't temp to read on the cluster. Anyone have any help here. #14 wire from the CL Plug to the cluster on the temp wire there is what I have.

I haven't even started yet...

Want the accord and CL gauge cluster electrical diagrams? I can e-mail them to you. Maybe this helps?

Accord: C2 (Gauge connector) --> C302 (#14) -->C103 (#2) --> Engine Coolant Temp Unit

CLS6: B3 (Gauge connector) --> E14 (ECM)

Edit: Realized FNCONE provided the same info after I typed all this up lol

Last edited:
Back