Tires cupping/feathering?

lifelongbread

Reaction score
get an alignment and get your tires rotated. if not rotated periodically your back tires are going to do that.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I think if it were a camber/toe issue, the wear would still be even around the tire. I agree with what Hondaluver said. I think the tire is not rotating evenly on the ground for whatever reason, and it's causing uneven wear among the treads. I was going to say you got defective tires at first, but then you said you'd had the same problem before with different tires.

You could try having a friend drive behind and to the left/right of you and have him tell you if the wheel looks like it's "hopping" or not rotating evenly (when viewing your car in motion from a rear three-quarter view).

Accord_V6_400m

Reaction score
Yeah its most likely a combination of caster/toe problem that has the tire facing a little more the the inside or outside further up or further back.

Yeah it happens on trucks so much because its so easy to knock their alignment off. they're not the most resilient things ironically.

truWarier02

Reaction score
Found out through a friend's friend who works at a local shop that both my rear shocks are blown :eusa_doh: I could feel the rear bouncing a little bit or swaying side to side at times. That's a symptom of block shocks right?

I just flipped the tires yesterday, rides so smooth and quiet now and no more humming. But it's only a matter of time before it happens to the other side of the tires, unless I get new coilovers soon. :eek:

And thanks for the input guys.

silverbullet99

Reaction score
looks like that tire is a little choppy. get some new rear struts & alignment. might have to get some new tires too, depending on how bad they are. I see tires like this everyday at work. its usually an alignment or suspension issue, or sometimes even just cheap *** tires. stay away from cooper cs4 tires, they will start chopping after 10k miles, even if your alignment is good and your car has no issues lol nankang tires are also horrible as well. if you have the money, it never hurts to pay a little extra for some high quality tires....

truWarier02

Reaction score
Yeah, I found out it was due to bad shocks. I just got some new coilovers a couple weeks ago and I had the tires flipped for now so it should last for quite a bit.

truWarier02

Reaction score
Sure can. Tein charges around $75 to overhaul each coilover damper, depending on the model.

And F2 sells replacement dampers for $75 on their website.

Back