What's an...

jvirusvirus

Reaction score
EGR.... My car engine light went on and the mechanic told me its the EGR low insufficent flow or something like that...

Is that fixable with some tools or it needs big crazy tools like taking it to a shop?....

Well the guy at Pep Boys said it could be clogged or it has to be replaced?...

What would you guys suggest? Car has about 230k:doh: on it :badger:

& where would that be located at a i4 98 lx

truWarier02

Reaction score
Just did a quick google search for ya. It was covered under warrranty up to 150k miles but you're well over haha.

In your case, I think it's best to just replace it, rather than clean it.

EGR valve = Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve

This video should help you out. Looks like a fairly simple DIY fix.

Last edited:

jvirusvirus

Reaction score
Omg I googled it but just info came out of it... Thanks I guess ill just do it myself and replace it thank you for the info!....

Have another Q I'm ganna do some research on it but what would be your input on a catalytic converter? You think.. I'm think its useless to get one but would like one but would a performance cat make a diff or is there such thing?lol... or just another reg converter I should get cause my is no good no more...

Last edited:

jvirusvirus

Reaction score
Wow like a hundred ten for the egr!:eekwtf: mmaannn I thought I was looking at like thirty dollars! lol

I'm guessing theres no performance cat hu just get a regular old cat thats cheap hu?

Jh8909

Reaction score
you do not HAVE to replace your EGR. if your getting the code for insufficient flow, then that is exactly what it is. there is carbon build up clogged in your upper intake. the best way to clean this is to take the top part of the intake off. but be careful, those bolts near the firewall are very hard to get to.

dakid914821

Reaction score
you do not HAVE to replace your EGR. if your getting the code for insufficient flow, then that is exactly what it is. there is carbon build up clogged in your upper intake. the best way to clean this is to take the top part of the intake off. but be careful, those bolts near the firewall are very hard to get to.

I have the same code. Im hoping I that when I change the egr the code doesnt stay on because it may be the passages and not the egr itself? any thoughts?

Jh8909

Reaction score
I have the same code. Im hoping I that when I change the egr the code doesnt stay on because it may be the passages and not the egr itself? any thoughts?

it IS the passages. Not necessarily the EGR valve itself. When I cleaned my passeges I kept my origional EGR valve and everything is still fine. Look at the link I posted. that is exactly what causes the "insufficient flow" code for the EGR. if you clean it right then you can clear the code and it should not turn back on, well at least not for that reason again.

gokblok

Reaction score

This.

My very first repair on my 2000 coupe was due to a P0401 (Insufficient EGR Lift/Flow), and I just assumed that meant replace the valve. 130 bucks later, same code, and took it to somebody who charged me to clean the ports. Voila. Code cleared.

jwong512

Reaction score
You won't pass emissions in California even with a high flow cat. As for the EGR, you should just take it out, clean it. Take off the intake manifold and clean the top end. Afterwards, reset the ECU and the code should be gone.

Back