I smell gas.....

Narftastic

Reaction score
Ok so i was driving home from the gym last night and i felt like i was siting inside a gas tank i smelled ALOT of gas , i smelled it before but not as bad as last night. Then this morning on the way to work it smelled as if something was burning... I did some research and it mite be a gas line leak or something... Anyone else have any ideas?

eggs

Reaction score
when did you put gas in your car last?

the seal on gas tank where the fuel pump sits in my cavalier is bad so whenever i fill my car up it overflows and leaks everywhere. idk if this helps you but it could be a possible cause

Last edited:

Millz

Reaction score
do u smell it inside the car while ur driving?

is it only when ur stopped at idle? i had this issue and it was my flexpipe that needed to be replaced

at idle with recirculation on i didnt have any problems

check your fuel lines as well under your car that run on the drivers side along the floor

Narftastic

Reaction score
when did you put gas in your car last?

the seal on gas tank where the fuel pump sits in my cavalier is bad so whenever i fill my car up it overflows and leaks everywhere. idk if this helps you but it could be a possible cause

Last time i put gas was on saterday night n didnt smell anything till yesterday night.

do u smell it inside the car while ur driving?

is it only when ur stopped at idle? i had this issue and it was my flexpipe that needed to be replaced

at idle with recirculation on i didnt have any problems

check your fuel lines as well under your car that run on the drivers side along the floor

I smell it when im inside, driving and not driving... My frame is like 2-3 inches off the ground and i know ive hit it prety hard a couple timeS but isnt all the lines and stuff above the frame?

001Stunna

Reaction score
Jack the car up and check your gas lines. They run about 10cm in under the driver side.
I had a faint gas smell as well almost a month ago and it turned out the fuel feed line had a tiny pin hole leak. If the fuel lines do not seem wet or if you cannot smell gas when looking under there move on and look at your FPR/Fuel Injectors.

While the car is off open the hood and smell around the area for a gas smell, have someone turn on the key to the second position to prime the fuel pump. See if that causes any sort of leak to occour.

Also when the car is running try spraying soap and water around the injectors/fpr etc and see if it causes any change in the car's idle or if you see any bubbles anywhere.

Narftastic

Reaction score
Jack the car up and check your gas lines. They run about 10cm in under the driver side.
I had a faint gas smell as well almost a month ago and it turned out the fuel feed line had a tiny pin hole leak. If the fuel lines do not seem wet or if you cannot smell gas when looking under there move on and look at your FPR/Fuel Injectors.

While the car is off open the hood and smell around the area for a gas smell, have someone turn on the key to the second position to prime the fuel pump. See if that causes any sort of leak to occour.

Also when the car is running try spraying soap and water around the injectors/fpr etc and see if it causes any change in the car's idle or if you see any bubbles anywhere.

When i left work today i looked at the spot were it was siting all day and didnt see any fresh spots or anything... Im taking it to a shop tomorrow morning so we'll see whats up

Back