How do you adjust belt tension?

Drew707

Reaction score
Topic. went to get an alignment and the tech said my drive belt is too tight. how do u adjust it? oh and im a 4cyl f23

Last edited:

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Alignment -- Drive belt ------ Not seeing the connection between the two. Tell him to just do your alignment and stay away from your belts.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
should have asked him if the spark plug tube seals needed replacement or not, since he would have had to take the valve cover and middle timing cover off to check the "drive" belt tension...would have been a good trolling moment :lawl:

i'm in the habit of saying "i know there's a CEL/front end noise/etc...i know what it is...so it doesn't need an inspection or diagnosis" before handing over the keys :lawl:

AZmike

Reaction score
I'd guess he's referring to your alternator and A/C belt or your power steering pump belt. They're drive belts too. The alternator belt has a tension adjuster botl you'd need to back off a little and then a pivot bolt to loosen to allow the alternator to move a little to relieve the belt tension. Re-tighten the pivot bolt and you're done. The power steering pump has a similar arrangement if I remember right.

Back