How exactly do I raise my car with coilovers?

pyaarawala

Reaction score
Sounds like a stupid question, but I couldn't seem to get it right last time. I have omnipower coilovers and I wanna raise the car. I took off the wheels last time and revealed the shock, but if I wanted to turn the large silver part at the bottom, it'd grind against the part that goes into the wheel bearing or whatever it's called. It took quite some force just to turn it a little bit.

And I know if the shock was not bolted in place, I could spin it quite freely to adjust the height. So do I have to unbolt the shock from the wheel bearing thing too?

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
On the front, take out the bolt that pinches the shock and undo the upper control arm (not entirely necessary if I remember correctly). And use a large pry bar to have someone force the lower control arm down which will pull the shock out of it's slot. You can then release the upper collar and spin the body to make it taller.

In the rear remove the fork bolt and push the control arm down and do the same thing.

chaby_91

Reaction score
for the front, loosen the bolt that keeps the shock absorber in the fork. remove it if necessary. loosen the lock nut on the shock and unscrew the bottom part of the coilover.

for the rear, you'll have to unscrew the lower part of the coilovers from the knuckle and same steps on the coilovers.

you will need an alignment after this

Back