Loose Headlight Bulbs

J30MAN

Reaction score
I noticed most Hid brands, wether it's Ebay, DDM, etc. seem a little loose when twisted in the housing. It gives off a flickering look when going over potholes or bumps in the road.

It got so bad with my DDM's that atleast once a week I would find myself pulling over on the side of the road/highway and putting the bulb back in the headlight because it had fallen out of the housing.

Last night I was fiddeling around in the garage trying to remedy this problem.

First I thought maybe the 3 screws are loose where the bulb twists in. But they weren't.

Then I saw my box of my old Hids. I opened it up, took the bulbs out. Took off the o-rings around each bulb and put the o-rings on the new bulbs. Now the new bulbs had two o-rings on each. I then put the bulbs back in the headlights. With the second o-ring it creates a little resistance while pushing the bulb in the socket. Making the bulbs nice a tight in the headlight.

If you guys can't picture what I'm describing I'll try to draw up something showing where to put the second o-ring.

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
Same happened to me. I was at a red light one night and noticed smoke comming out of my headlight. It started melting the housing because it slipped out.

Simkid5614

Reaction score
My PNP kit did it, The bulbs plastic is too thin. I just ripped mine out and threw halogens back in until i get my retro.

J30MAN

Reaction score
I'll try this out, my HIDs are doing this.

Same happened to me. I was at a red light one night and noticed smoke comming out of my headlight. It started melting the housing because it slipped out.

That's what I was worried about, burning my housing. Happened once.

Umm can't u just tighten the 3 bolts around where u slip the bulb into?

That maybe the case is some headlights. But it wasn't in mine. Mine were cranked tight already.

My PNP kit did it, The bulbs plastic is too thin. I just ripped mine out and threw halogens back in until i get my retro.

My as well give this a try.

bobbyVEE

Reaction score
this is awesome... mine have been doing that for the past few weeks since i bought new bulbs... i debated even using tape lol but didnt want to make the engine bay look like a hack job lol.. bump for good info

J30MAN

Reaction score
this is awesome... mine have been doing that for the past few weeks since i bought new bulbs... i debated even using tape lol but didnt want to make the engine bay look like a hack job lol.. bump for good info

Thanks Bobby!

Back