finch13's 1999 Chevy Silverado Build Thread

finch13

Reaction score
Just priced out the entire build sans machine work... $2489.

I have a hookup that sells me performance parts at jobber cost (just above wholesale) so the entire build is roughly 25% less than what it should cost. I'll probably pick up the block later this week :D

Opted to maintain the factory valve sizes. The machine work was too risky and would've cost $1k+, might still run the 2.02 LS valves, we'll see.

finch13

Reaction score
Another update: Going to see what numbers 6.0L heads on the 5.3L will run. Seems to be the cheapest way to get a 2" intake valve. Unfortunately, we'll also have to attempt to mill .060" off the head to achieve the 10.5:1 compression I was shooting for.

Mikey

Reaction score
I was just gonna say, if you're gonna do that much work, why not put a 6.0 in it?

Mikey

Reaction score
I mean, I dont wanna say "Go big or go home" but Id either punch out the 4.8, put rod bolts and a turbo on it -OR- go with the 6.0L.

A guy on another forum has a Turbo'd 6.0L and he's making like 800hp. Runs mid to high 9s.

finch13

Reaction score
I was just gonna say, if you're gonna do that much work, why not put a 6.0 in it?

I mean, I dont wanna say "Go big or go home" but Id either punch out the 4.8, put rod bolts and a turbo on it -OR- go with the 6.0L.

A guy on another forum has a Turbo'd 6.0L and he's making like 800hp. Runs mid to high 9s.

The biggest reasons are a) I can build this engine and attach an exhaust to it for ~$3000, including oil and coolant and ****. Down to the penny. And b) it's my daily, the quicker I can swap out motors and flash the PCM, the happier I'll be. I'm just looking for more power with the least amount of headaches right now. As life progresses, I'd like to do a build I can really take my time on and tweak in my own garage.

Id do an ls7 before turbo

There's a huge difference between would do and will do. There are a lot of stock 4.8L out there putting some nice numbers down with a turbo. Under $10k for the whole setup, easily. On the other hand, just finding a used LS7 would probably cost $10k. The GM Performance parts LS7 crate engine is $18k alone. Those are some pretty big dreams you've got there.

finch13

Reaction score
Picked up the block yesterday morning, had it torn down before noon. Took the block, heads, mains, and pistons over to the diesel shop to use their awesome parts washer.

Apparently the engine I picked up was run out of oil; every single bearing was garbage. Scoring on every single crank journal, cam is ****ed. Oh well, a new crank is only $210.

I'll be dropping off the block and heads at my machinist friend's shop tomorrow. He'll be honing the bores and resurfacing the deck as well as pressure checking, milling and doing a valve job on my heads.

Here's the 5.3L beast:
IMG_20110214_093154.jpg

Getting ready to pull the bottom end apart:
IMG_20110214_122924.jpg

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Nice progress, looks like they lacked on the oil change part. Thats probably also why they ran it out of oil if it leaked or burned

The comment on a ls7 is more my preferance than it is cost effectiveness btw. Im just more of a NA guy unless its a turbo diesel.

finch13

Reaction score
Nice progress, looks like they lacked on the oil change part. Thats probably also why they ran it out of oil if it leaked or burned

The comment on a ls7 is more my preferance than it is cost effectiveness btw. Im just more of a NA guy unless its a turbo diesel.

I don't know what the history of it is... the bores still have a nice crosshatch on them. I'll measure them tomorrow and see what's really going on.

I think every man and his brother would have an LS7 or LS9 if they could afford it. Obvious first choice, but then again how many people do you see at car shows with them that aren't sponsored by a speed shop?

Back