Swapping a 2.3 VTEC in place of a 3.0

BlissRider

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1999 Accord 2.3 VTEC, auto trans. The car is incredible! I've owned trucks the last 15 years. I need a truck for work and traded a high end bike for this used Accord. 238,000 miles and it runs like a top. The interior is super clean and the body doesn't look bad but it's from Michigan so it's got its rust. I can pick up a similar year 3.0 V6 auto for next to nothing and its rust free. Is putting the 4 cylinder in the V6 body do-able or is it a wiring mess?

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
much more work than it's worth, to be honest. the wiring and if you have abs, you have to relocate the abs unit to the opposite side of the engine bay. there might be more, but i'm not sure what else would have to be changed around.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
It can be done, the question is is it really worth it. I would say no, better to look for another 4cyl with a straight body or repair yours. But hey if you have time to kill why not, you'll definitely learn a few things.

BlissRider

Reaction score
Do you have to pull the entire wiring harness from the car? Switching the engine compartment certainly wouldn't be great. But I can pick the second southern Accord up for next to nothing.

I looked last night and the rear subframe on the drivers side, near where it mounts to the body is pretty rusted out. The car may need some attention sooner than anticipated.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Do you have to pull the entire wiring harness from the car? Switching the engine compartment certainly wouldn't be great. But I can pick the second southern Accord up for next to nothing.

I looked last night and the rear subframe on the drivers side, near where it mounts to the body is pretty rusted out. The car may need some attention sooner than anticipated.
I think you should be able to swap it, especially since you would have both cars there. You might have to swap some mounts, but I think it could be done. You'll want the wiring harnesses from the ECU forward. Might be a little tricky getting them thru the firewall though. I think the biggest issue that you'll run into though, will be the power steering hoses at the steering rack. I only say that, as I've changed those hoses before, and there's limited room to work with. Maybe with the engine out you might have more space... I don't know.
If I could find a clean rust free 6th gen sedan, I'd swap it. Even if it took me a month to do so. Mainly because what I already have is rusty.

Accordx

Reaction score
It's definitely possible, I just don't think I would do it personally. Just doesn't seem like it's worth the work but that's just me.

Back