Chipped stock ecu an option? Cheap tuning options

schmauster

Reaction score
Hi, new to Hondas from Nissans. Did a lot of ECU tuning for myself and friends.

Got a neglected 01 Accord for $250 and started to fix it up. Got it to pass smog and it runs really well. I am not worried about smog checks in the future.

So I noticed our ECUs have a chip that looks reprogrammable.. i saw some speak on the net saying they dont work like that. I dont mind installing a socket in the ECU and reprogramming it in my PC with a Willem if thats an option.

Sounds like an OBD1 conversion harness and P28 ecu are in order? Are the china conversion harnesses okay on ebay? A little hesitant with something so important.

Sorry for my noob question.

Last edited:

dawg316

Reaction score
usualy the go to ecu is the obd1 civic or integra vtec 5 speed ecu. its possible to use a non vtec ecu ( what im running) but you will have to find certain serial number boards that will work. i usualy recomend a vtec obd 1 5 speed ecu tho.

i recomend a obd2b to obd1 name brand harness, running a boomslang USA wireharness on my ecu and it has been good to me. for a few bucks more over the chinese ones i highly recomend it and not to go china.

the ecu will need to be socketed and then a chip installed with a basemap tune of the engine you plan on running. and then your choice of software, ( CHROME, Netune, ect)

im running neptune cuz of the sweet fetures like real time programing, check engine shift lights , 2 step ect. but it cost money for the license,

i sugest you talk to your tuner and have them solder the chip on the board ( burnt a ecu trying to DIY it myself, lesson learnt) and run what they are fimiliar with , for tuning

BTW what are your plans with the car where you believe you need a tunable ecu ?

schmauster

Reaction score
I dont need a tunable ECU by any means. Really just for future upgradability and being able to clean up the fuel/timing curves a little.

Maybe going turbo in the future.. The accord doesnt respect my hustle. Neptune sounds pretty good with realtime, ill have to look into it.

Perhaps it will be a family mobile sleeper with a T4 :)

Back