*PLEASE HELP* 1999 Accord has Non-working Wipers, Parking lights, and cruise control.

TJH

Reaction score
Re: *PLEASE HELP* 1999 Accord has Non-working Wipers, Parking lights, and cruise cont

Success!!!

I followed the Red/Blk wire under the steering column and found it was worked on by someone else.

It had been cut, and an Orang/White wire was spliced in its place with with Orange/White and the remainder of the Red/Blk wire coming out the other end.

I just tested it by connecting the dangling Red/Blk from switch and now we have parking lights!!!!!!!!

But why would someone have done that? The after-market stereo has wire coming out of it. My they are related?

What would be the bennifit of connecting the orange/wht and the rest of the red/blk?

TJH

Reaction score
Re: *PLEASE HELP* 1999 Accord has Non-working Wipers, Parking lights, and cruise cont

There are an orange/white and a blue/white hanging from under the stereo.
Those white have been striped and are just hanging.

Also, non of the other light have made an improvement,
The odometer illumination, the clock illumination, the cruise button light (push-in on dash).

chaby_91

Reaction score

Fig. 52: Instrument Illumination Circuit

Bottom right you'll see the gauge assembly and a LCD back light. I believe that's your odometer light. Check for power/ground and burned bulb. That light should come on when you put your key to the ON position.

The clock light dies on ALL 6GA. You're most likely going to have to replace the bulb. This is also possible for the CC switch's LED(was on my other 6ga). Does the CC work? I wouldn't bother trying to fix the light if it does.

EDITTo fix the light in the cc switch, you will need to replace it.

As for that stereo wiring thingy, Is the radio aftermarket? It's common to find unused wires with those.

Last edited:

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
*PLEASE HELP* 1999 Accord has Non-working Wipers, Parking lights, and cruise co

The orange and white is a dimmer for the radio. We never hook them up because 9/10 times the vehicle does not have a dimmer wire or will not work with the new radio.

The blue and white is a remote turn on for an amp.

So neither need to be hooked up but the blue/white should at least be taped on the end as it is sending a 5v positive signal when the radio is on.

Pudge49902

Reaction score

Well glad you got it working and that the diagrams helped!

TJH

Reaction score

I Spoke too soon...

I found what was blowing the #10 (10amp) circuit in the passengers side fuse box.
The Red/Blk wire was crossed with the Orange/White wire, causing the fuse to blow.

I replaced the fuse and everything seemed fine for about a 15 minute drive, then it blew again.

So, I undid the splice someone had put there some time in the past, and I repaired the wires.
= Red/Blk to Red/Blk and Orange/White to Orange/White.

Now the dimmable features of the care, like clock, GAUGES, and other lights in the cabin that are dimmable, will not light up if the parking lights or the headlights are on.

The High beams and the rest of the interior lights that do not dim, they remain full brightness, no matter what position the combo light switch in is, "On", Parking Lights", "Off".

For example:
Imagine the combo light switch is in the "Off" position. The Odometer (backlit), the clock, and warning lights in cluster, like "Seatbelt reminder" and "Maintenance Required" lights are ON in full brightness. Normal, right?

Then the sun goes down:
You switch the "Parking Lights" or "head lights" to the "On" position.
And away goes the backlighting for the odometer and clock, also the analog gauges are not lit at all. The Aftermarket stereo dims a little, and the warning lights on the cluster are same as before, "Maintenance Required" in full brightness.

I am having a hard time understanding the diagrams, though they are helpful.
Last night, the dimmer switch was working, so I don't think it's that.

What could be going on? What should I check. Is there a safe way to patch this issue?

Thank you so much for all the help. We have come a long way and I feel like we are really close to resolving this whole thing.
Thank You.

Last edited:

TJH

Reaction score
Re: *PLEASE HELP* 1999 Accord has Non-working Wipers, Parking lights, and cruise co

That's kinda what I thought too. I knew the blue was for remote PWR.
Under the steering column, Orange/White is your High Beams. (I tested by unplugging it)
This could be why we had this problem. He said a buddy of his installed the last two radios in it and That guy could have found a wire that looked right and spliced everything together. It did work for about 15 minutes, till the fuse blew.

TJH

Reaction score

BTW,

The odometer illumination, cruise button (push-in on dash), and clock illumination that I was having trouble with yesterday, was just because of bad bulbs. I went to the junk yard today to get a new A/C vent bezel, and grabbed a few handfuls of all the bulbs (and fuses) used on the gauge cluster, the clock, the cruise button, map lights, etc. And they gave me another whole clock, cruise button, and some other stuff for free.

The Bulbs on all those devices, even the clock and Hazard button are replaceable with a flat-head screw driver. I bet they even sell them at Radio Shack.

TJH

Reaction score

From Redbull-1 on Honda Accord Forum:

Ok, sounds like the person that hacked the wiring before was trying to get some lighting back after they messed something up. They possibly blew the Multiplex Control Unit (MCU) located in the driver's side fuse box. They did their own hack to restore some functionality.

Since it sounds like you reconnected the Red/Blk wire the way it should be, we'll go back to this same video I linked before.

Follow his instructions, if your lights come back on when you do this, the MCU is bad. Tell me what you find.

Search Youtube for this video:

HONDA ILLUMINATION NOT WORKING * HOW TO FIX * instrument cluster lights - YouTube

TJH

Reaction score

In the 3 minute video, he shows how to test and bypass the malfunctioning driver's side computer on the corresponding fuse panel (MCU) [multiplex control unit], and get the gauge lights to work again.

I followed the instructions in the video, and it proved that the Driver's side MCU needs to be replaced. I'll just get one from the junk yard tomorrow. (They are either free or $5, maybe $3)

Back