'01 Accord LX 2.3L 4AT Transmission Issues & Power Steering

thunderous

Reaction score
Hello, have a 2001 Honda Accord, 2.3L engine with the automatic transmission, 277k miles, and I've fallen into the common transmission failure (or soon-to-be). Codes come up for some solenoid replacement, and those are in the back of my mind right now. What I was thinking of was replacing the filthy transmission filter that has all the junk gathered on it, and add a transmission cooler to help prolong it's life until the solenoids are replaced, or the whole thing is rebuilt.

As for the power-steering: yes I used legit Honda power steering oil, no leaks, and I seem to have a very loud noise, kind of like groaning/whining when I turn the steering wheel. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

james'99

Reaction score
Fluid smell "burnt" in tranny? How is the color and level. ONLY USE HONDA ATF! DO NOT FLUSH TRANNY IF YOU HAVEN'T REGULARLY SERVICED TRANNY ITS ENTIRE LIFE.

Power steering? Airy sounding? Possibly pump going out. And fluid coming off pump under hood? Maybe still not enough fluid? I believe there is a screen in the bottom of the reservoir that you may be able to clean by removing the reservoir.

thunderous

Reaction score
No burnt smells from transmission. If it helps, here are a few systems:
-Driving softly and letting of the gas pedal at the right RPM avoids shifting issues
-Flooring leads to the gears seeming stuck until you let go
-At that point, D4 starts flashing green and I cannot pick up speed any faster than a Prius

I don't hear an airy sound from the power steering, but I will check for the screen beneath the resevoir and for any fluid coming from the pump.

james'99

Reaction score
Does the fluid specifically smell burnt? Sorry for not being more clear. Pull the dipstick and examine the fluid on it.

Is the check engine light on?

I doubt there are heavy issues with your power steering system. It's most likely gonna be the pump. Can you provide a video of the sound?

Back