**Jeep oil question**

Status
Not open for further replies.

J30MAN

Reaction score
Im servicing my parents vehicles this morning. My dads needed and oil change, and my moms needed oil change, air filter change, spark plug change.

I forgot her *2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.7L V6* used 5W-20 all year, I picked up 5W-30. The owners manual says that "failure to use recommended oil" is bad for the 5.7L Hemi. It doesn't say anything about the V6. Will 3000 miles of 5W-30 hurt the engine or will this be no problem.

Thank you all.

Halabeaster54

Reaction score
Im servicing my parents vehicles this morning. My dads needed and oil change, and my moms needed oil change, air filter change, spark plug change.

I forgot her *2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.7L V6* used 5W-20 all year, I picked up 5W-30. The owners manual says that "failure to use recommended oil" is bad for the 5.7L Hemi. It doesn't say anything about the V6. Will 3000 miles of 5W-30 hurt the engine or will this be no problem.

Thank you all.

I wouldnt think so. What kind of oil did you get? I hope mobile one.

Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
It's just a thinner viscosity than 20, it won't hurt anything. If you bought it today you could exchange it though.

J30MAN

Reaction score
It's just a thinner viscosity than 20, it won't hurt anything. If you bought it today you could exchange it though.

I used the 30. The link above talks about how the engine during 05-07 along with different throttle system it originally used 5W-30 oil. When the updated 08 model came out C.A.R.B. wanted Chrysler to use 5W-20 in the engine instead for better fuel econ. But the engine would now get less protection from the different oil. So I guess I'll just keep using 5W-30 in it. It just hit 38k so it's early enough for a switch over.

Fun fact I guess. When I went to go get new plugs for it I asked the guy for the cheapest NGK plugs they had. Which were NGK V-power plugs. When I was changing the old plugs out earlier I was inspecting them for wear and noticed they are the same exact plug that I bought. $15 for factory plugs...pretty cool I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back