I managed to hack an aux input on the factory HU w/o an 80$ adapter. heres how.

watson540

Reaction score
as a note this is my last post in my other thread copied over, but i wanted sopmeone to be able to find this info by searching and this info was buried in another thread w/out a relevant title

6nw8ib.jpg

I tried uploading to this board but the file size quota's are jacked up. I shrank the jpg down to 40k and it still said i was 60k over quota..bs since the page says 90kb is the limit but whatever.

the image is above and I'll try to up the pdf i got it from.

That schematic does not mirror our radios exactly but i was lucky enough to find a few components in common.

This can be done just by taking the bottom off of the cd player and thats it. find the radio module (I circled what its labled on the board) if i remember right pin 36 is to the far left looking at the bottom of the radio with the radio module at the top (furthest away from you) but i cannot be sure. you may have to pull the board out to make sure, which isn't difficult at all.

I can tell you the radio module is easy to spot cause it's the only thing on the board that actually has all 36 pins going straight across the board as opposed to having 2 or 3 rows of pins. (Its also ooon the outside edge of the board)

I would still reccommend taking the board out though if you want to keep radio functionality you could do this on top of the board. clip the two pins i markes on the chip then solder two wires to the pins, then solder two more wires to the bottom of the board on the traces/pads. You could then attach those wires to one of the headphone jacks i was talking about with an auto switch in them. that way your radio would work fine until you plugged something in. there is even room on the front panel to drill a hole for the jack if you wanna get fancy.

To get the board out, take out the 5 or so screws in it, plus the 3 going through the heatsinks of the amp. Pop the front faceplate off with a flat edge screwdrive by just poking it into the hole on the back woth arrows on them, eventuaallt it just pops off. Then take the bass and treble knok assembly off by unscrewing the two nuts on the shafts in the front where the faceplate was, then thhat just lifts out, then you should be able to just lift the board out after you find all the screws (dont forget the one mounted on the antenna jack) it's modular in the sense it just plugs in to the board on the cd module.

I should mention the audio ground inside the cable, if you go that route, and/or the ground for the spdt switch/headphone jack is any ground you can find on the board..it's common, you could probably even ground to the chassis.

Good luc k on an easy mod.

PS I clipped the pins on my radio module anyway even though i dont have a switch wired in atm cause i was afraid i would be hearing the radio in the background of my auxillary input

PSS - since this board SUCKS about uploading attachments. just gogle for cq-jh8061_62z.pdf to find the pdf I snagged this from

Last edited:

Accord_V6_400m

Reaction score
Ok im a little lost, what exactly did you accomplish by hacking into the AUX input? What adapter are you refering to?

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
if you're having issues uploading it as an attachment you could always link it through your vb gallery

watson540

Reaction score
Ok im a little lost, what exactly did you accomplish by hacking into the AUX input? What adapter are you refering to?

The expensive adapter im referring to plugs into the factory cd players cd changer input (if the radio came with one), and then allows you to plug an mp3 player into that. The adapter does special junk to make the cd changer input actually turn on and think there is a changer on the other end. since I never found specific info on which actual protocol it uses (m-bus p-bus or h-bus among others), I decided to justt solder straight to the board. originally I wanted to hack into the cd player input but the schematic I had wasn't up to date for my radio and the ic it mentions was nowhere to be found on my circuit board at all , which is why I used the radio input.

the whole purpose of this is to hook an mp3 player up to your stock HU without using a crappy sounding fm modulator/transmitter

Because at 50-80 bucks just for the adapter I cant justify that, because another 20 bucks would get me a brand new aftermarket cd player with aux in on front and on rca in's on the back!

watson540

Reaction score
if you're having issues uploading it as an attachment you could always link it through your vb gallery

I have never heard of vb gallery, is this some other feature of the vb bulletin board software? I'll lokk into it.

In any case you definitely have issues with the file quotas man. SOmeone should look into that. I wanted to up the jpg and the zippped pdf here mainly cause I know externaql hosting eventually takes this stuff down and then everybody wonders wtf happened to the schematic or whatev er that just says "this image has been deleted" or whatever in it's place.

quite frustrating to me when i find something I need and then the relevant pics fell into interweb purgatory

ps - if i sense enough interest in this and peop[le have problems, i would be willing to take the radio apart once more and document with pics. since im really considering installing a 3.5mm jack in the front panel now..

Last edited:

dynasty

Reaction score
module PK50 is the AUX or radio? so i solder 32 and 31 into my headphone jack?

watson540

Reaction score
pk50 is the radio module on the board I explained about. Solder the red and white wires (from your headphone/3.5mm cable/jack) to those two pins you mentioned on the board.

AngusTEx

Reaction score
meh I've had my PIE HON98-AUX Converter hooked up to my stock HU for over a year now. Got it for $45 and took less than a couple minutes to install. The time/labor saved was worth the $. :action-smiley-042::thumbup:

Nice write-up though.

Back