DIY Sound deadening?

jonny

Reaction score
How is/did the Poly Fil work for you? It looks promising, and cheap.
Also, I watched a couple videos on Peel And Seal I think I'm going to go buy a roll soon, do up my trunk with it, and around my rear speakers. Thanks! :lolrun:

hondatech03

Reaction score
How is/did the Poly Fil work for you? It looks promising, and cheap.
Also, I watched a couple videos on Peel And Seal I think I'm going to go buy a roll soon, do up my trunk with it, and around my rear speakers. Thanks! :lolrun:

it works very well. if you use both the peel and stick and the pollyfill it will be super quite. make sure you keep the stock door liner though; you dont the pollyfill to get wet. pm me if you want help

schmiddr2

Reaction score
A bigger benefit for SQ would be to buy some sheet metal and cover the holes in the door, and as seen in pic, use some kind of material (I used CLD tiles) to cover up small holes. Poly-fill is more of a cushion, similar to CCF, which might make the door sound more dead when closing it or tapping on it but still allowing noise to pass through it easier than with the purpose built product, mass loaded vinyl. Problem is sound is hard to block in a car. Also, I linked you to a google search about using exercise mats, but there are many threads on that site about using alternative sound altering materials.

This is my door:
CIMG2422.jpg

Last edited:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
polyfill :ugh:

peel and seal :ugh: :ugh:

the door sheet metal is paper thin...add mass, seal up the giant gaping holes, 25% coverage on flat surfaces, and use a lovely sturdy speaker spacer.

a preemptive strike against more bad advice: 100% coverage, multiple layers, thin/lightweight asphalt-based products...all rubbish.

jonny

Reaction score
Whoa, that sounds so clear I almost thought a track was laid over the video. :D

Ryan, what cheap or household method would you think works best then? I have very little funds so actual sound proofing of any kind is out of the equation.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Whoa, that sounds so clear I almost thought a track was laid over the video. :D

Ryan, what cheap or household method would you think works best then? I have very little funds so actual sound proofing of any kind is out of the equation.

Spray down liner, yoga mat from amazon

schmiddr2

Reaction score
http://www.lowes.com/pd_50186-85334...l&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=sheet+metal&facetInfo=

Buy this sheet and a box of 40 or so self-tapping screws. Cover the holes in the door. $15 for some good benefits. You don't need a lot of CLD tiles for the door, just 2 sq ft would do the job. Maybe this, http://www.amazon.com/GTMAT-Automot...&ie=UTF8&qid=1362611871&sr=1-1&keywords=GTMAT

With that process complete then you can focus on removing any rattles by stuffing foam into place or with the pieces of CLD tiles you have left over.

Next step can be done later which is adding MLV.

Reactions: Bax
Back