(SOLVED) Shudder after timing belt change / ATF

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Re: Shudder after timing belt change / ATF

Normal autos involve planetary gears...those alone will make you nuts! 3 gearsets! 6 gears!! one set does too many ratios, sometimes reversing!!!

Honda has 2 gears, in & out, selected by a clutch.

There are reasons my name at tech school was 'Honda' 8)

Bambalance

Reaction score

I thought the problem came when you did the t-belt? Anyway, you never need to remove it all (yet), pop off cam-gear cover and turn crank to tdc, easy is to leave on belt drive pulley and belts.

Yeah, I did both at the same time. So I drove it a long distance yesterday and the noise/vibration is there in D as well, just not as much, and shows itself most when I let off the accelerator. What do you mean I leave on the belts? How do I correct the timing without removing the belt? I'm a novice so I just didn't grasp what you meant. Thanks again!

xci.ed6

Reaction score

Nah, not redo, but check. A redo required the whole thing again, but just a check is like I said.

That's why I said "yet".

Igor

Under construction
Reaction score

I heard people say, if the trans not properly maintained, has high miles, not to change the fluid/or mix it with new fluid. Did you see any metal shavings on the drain plug? I'm not sure, but the transmission could be your issue here. The car makes noises in neutral/park? Or only in driving gears?

xci.ed6

Reaction score

He does say only in drive, makes me think...

Thinkin axle or wheel, road speed effects it, try it with front end (at least) lifted.

Craize

Reaction score

Usually a drain and refill wont cause a vibration if the correct fluid was used. I agree with xci.ed6 and the problem has to be timing, especially if it was fine before you did all the work on the car. Be sure to always line up timing marks on crank and cam gears and rotate the assemble atleast 2 revolutions the recheck the marks again. You can NEVER be to cautious when doing timing belts.

Bambalance

Reaction score

Usually a drain and refill wont cause a vibration if the correct fluid was used. I agree with xci.ed6 and the problem has to be timing, especially if it was fine before you did all the work on the car. Be sure to always line up timing marks on crank and cam gears and rotate the assemble atleast 2 revolutions the recheck the marks again. You can NEVER be to cautious when doing timing belts.

I agree. I will be taking it apart Thursday morning to double check. Hope it is this "simple". Lol.

Bambalance

Reaction score

Okay, you guys were right! Well at least partly. Took it all apart, rechecked timing belt. The Timing belt was perfect. The Balancer belt looked perfect, so I thought, "well, $hit." I took off both belts and tinkered around and read a few of the online guides.

HERE IS A TIP BC SOME OF THE GUIDES OUT THERE ARE WRONG!!! When doing the rear balancer pulley, one MUST put in the bolt (I used a long nail) into the rear maintenance hole by removing the 12mm bolt and inserting until the pulley doesn't move either way. More than one DIY guide state that you line up the little arrow on this pulley to a mark at ~4:00 on the mounting assembly. This is not going to work, as I discovered, and is the reason for this whole initial post.

Once I actually put in the nail and didn't even pay attention to the markings, I put it all back together, removed the nail, started the engine and it is PERFECT now. Sounds better than before I did the work (did a valve adjustment too). :)

So beware of those DIY plans out there. Thanks for all your input and I think I have learned quite a lot in this process.

Back