2001 Coupe speaker upgrade

gimpgutter

Reaction score
Hi, i just bought a 2001 Honda Accord V6 coupe and am looking to upgrade the speakers. I have the 6 disc changer, and all speakers being 4 ohms. I understand that the front's are 6.5" and the rear decks are 6x9". However, i have a pair of Cadence speakers that i was going to throw in the rear, but they do not fit. Without a shim, the speaker hits the trunk support. With the shim, the midrange and tweeter hit the speaker cover. So, i am asking: Which speakers actually do fit in this without customization? And if need be, has anyone bent the trunk support to allow larger speaker magnets? Currently i was hoping to fit the Cadence, but if they didnt, i was looking at getting a pair of Infinity Kappa's (yea i know they are better than the cadence). Anyone make a custom accord grill cover that fits over the child seat attachment?

I was really hoping to get some better quality speakers in there without trimming or benting metal.

Also, in the doors, what is the speaker depth allowance? From the guide in the sticky post, i see that there is a basket behind the speaker? Is there much room behind it, or is the window in the way?

Anyone with any info, please give any insight you have. It will all be appreciated.

Thanks.

PS. It's not too bad coming from a 1996 Continental to a 2001 Accord with leather and auto climate. I hope to stay in this forum a while.

ryon527

Reaction score
welcome, look on crutchfield.com for speaker depths. They have special instructions too like it'll say plastic back of basket has to be cut off.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
welcome welcome. looks like another audio enthusiast. ill try to answer your questions in order.

yes, the fronts are 6.5" and the rears are 6x9s. im guessing you have an ex with the 6 speaker stereo (tweeters up by the windshield). i personally have my rear drivers side speaker out and the other disconnected (cant get the dam grill off) cause you cant hear the rears and i didnt want my sub messing with the speakers since theres no baffles on em. i havent looked that close on this vehicle, but gernerally, if you bend the trunk supports, the trunk wont open or close properly. in all honesty, unless you turn your head enough to look out the back side window, youll never know theres no sound from the rear. i think someone has made covers or redone the rear deck. dont remember who, but someone has.

yes, there is a basket behind the front speaker. if you look at your stock honda speaker, you have that much space plus MAYBE 4 or 5mm. if you want some more details, i kinda talked about fitting speakers in the Car Audio and Electronics section, and the threads name is Kickpanels. as far as actual numbers go, id have to go and take my door apart cause i didnt measure last time i had it apart. if you want to use the door location, you have to go shallow for the speakers to fit.

oh btw, youre more than welcome to go into the general chat section and introduce yourself with pics and mods list. we enjoy hearing about plans too, even if theyre just plans. any questions you have, just post em up. a lot of us are bored and like to talk. haha jk, kind of.

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
by not just make another baffle for the speaker cover and built that out too? otherwise you can buy some acoustic cloth and make your own cover.

like someone else said, crutchfield has all the depth allowances on their site.

and i don't remember what the trunk support thing you're talking about is, but assuming its not structural then do whatever to make your speaker fit.

gimpgutter

Reaction score
well, getting new rears is a must. i definately hear sound from the rears, and prefer to install new ones. I may try tomorrow to bend the trunk support. It shouldn't be too too difficult. We shall see with some daylight.

Shimming the speaker grill itself would be difficult, and wouldnt look all that good utilizing my resources. I looked online for replacement grill covers with no luck.

Ya know, with 100,000's of accord coupes out there, you would think there would be more support for stereo and speaker replacement on the internet. I have searched for hours today, with nothing more than a few posts about replacing the speakers, with no solution provided. Why can't designers A) put better speakers in their car or B) allow easier customization of the audio system?

Also, i really dont plan on modding my Accord too much. I'm only going to have this car 2-3 years and wll prob buy a Mark VIII LSC when i graduate from Rutgers.

EliteStyles6th

Reaction score
Yea welcome fellow 6th gen'r. ive had the same problem wit the fronts. im still actually goin through that dilemia. RyanS helped a lot so def talk to him. as far as the rears go, i have infinity reference 6x9's. the magnet does touch the trunk bar thingie, but i kinda fixed it i guess. im satisfied with them so i dont think ill change em. if u want, i tried to bend it veeeerrry slightly(not using ne tools, pure manpower! lol) and it should work, so its up to u. if u need ne other assistance, let me kno.
-elitestyles

gimpgutter

Reaction score
Well, we got the cadence 6x9 in. Basically here is what we had to do:

1) remove the cadence shim and extra spacer on both top and bottom of the mount surface. This was important to get the stock screws to fit.

2) We removed the trunk support from the gray clip and bent the supports to allow room over the magnet. Without bending it, the supports rubbed on the massive magnet in the cadence speaker.

3) We took off the stock connector on the speaker and soldered it to the new speaker wires for easy connection.

4) We had to add relief cuts in the ring on the bottom of the grill to allow the larger cadence mount to fit while maintaining the grill be flush with the rear deck.

5) That speaker screw in the back under the window was a bitch to get out. My ratchet couldnt fit there, so i had to use a combination of an allen key and a wrench to get that bastard out. Took like 400 turns to finally get it loose.

So it sounds pretty good. Much better bass and midrange, and screaming tweeters. Total time was almost 3 hours (lot of confusion along the way).

Next project is going to be the front speakers. I am planning on putting a pair of Infinity components in...either the Kappa 60.5cs, 60cs, or the perfect 6.1's. Not sure which one fits yet nor how i am going to mount the tweeter. On the door seems like a good place, but then i dont know what to do with the stock tweeter. And if i go with the stock tweeter location, how do i wire from the crossover to the top of the dash?

Thanks for your replies, guys. This seems like a good forum to me.

Hush

Reaction score
most audio people say you dont' need rears at all if you run a sub. thats why people call the rears "fillers". IMO i'd just get fronts and a sub and use the stock rears till they blow and take them out all together. the rear is just for bass but if you have a sub you wont hear anything from the rear speakers.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
Hush said:
most audio people say you dont' need rears at all if you run a sub. thats why people call the rears "fillers". IMO i'd just get fronts and a sub and use the stock rears till they blow and take them out all together. the rear is just for bass but if you have a sub you wont hear anything from the rear speakers.

yeah, he said what i mentioned about the rears. i cant hear anything from the back except for bass. plus, without baffles for the speakers, the bass from the sub will interfere with the air being moved by the speaker, causing interference and damage. i left the one in cause i couldnt get the grill off, but both are disconnected. iwas going to leave the rear armrest down, but the hole from the 6x9 does the same job.

gimpgutter said:
On the door seems like a good place, but then i dont know what to do with the stock tweeter. And if i go with the stock tweeter location, how do i wire from the crossover to the top of the dash?
if you want them in the door, you can just disconnect the stock tweeter. otherwise, in the stock location, running the wire is not fun. i havent tried to, but it doesnt look easy by looking at it. i think im going to separate the metal mounting bar thing from the tweeter, and put some kind of spacer behind my mb tweeter. i dont want to have to glue it to the grill like i saw on another site. i think the metal bar holding the tweeter to the grill can be reused. i heard running wire from the door into the car is a b!tch and a half though...

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
gimpgutter said:
PS. It's not too bad coming from a 1996 Continental to a 2001 Accord with leather and auto climate. I hope to stay in this forum a while.

ahhh a fellow continental owner! haha, except i came from a 91 continental to a 98 accord.
PassengerSideTint1.jpg

PassengerSideTint2.jpg

haha, yeaa, it was a fun car that loved to brake.

the guy that had my car before me had put in some pioneers in the rear, and they fit fine.....but it seems you dont have a problem with the rears anymore. i cant really help ya with the doors, but check out ryans's thread that he mentioned, that helped me out a little. also, wildman made a DIY thread on how to replace the front speakers, so check that out as well, thats what gave me the motivation to actually want to do those later this year. welcome to the site!

Back